RMA'd R1F on its way to Freemont

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cecirdr, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, my R1F is on its way to Freemont, CA to get repaired. It may be a bit preliminary to start a thread for it since I had to ship it FedEx ground. (shipping insurance sure drives a price up ya know)
    ------------------
    The items I want ASUS to fix are:

1. Static on the headphone port

2. Atrocious battery wear and a battery that appears to not be accepting a full charge. (it stops recharging, but if I turn on the laptop, it says that the battery is at 56% or something similar)

3. The wifi turns itself off after about 15 minutes when the laptop is plugged in and the computer will hang if you try to turn it back on without letting the computure sit fallow (off or hibernate) for 30 minutes or so.

4. The fingerprint sensor is coming loose on one side and the pen silo is scratching the pen slightly.

------------

I'm so tired of these indeterminate problems and not knowing whether Asus has figured out solutions to the two "biggies". I'd love to know what percentage of R1Fs are afflicted with the battery and static issue. It'd be hard to come by though since most people who post on a forum are those that have problems...so it skews the perception.

Here's hoping that Asus will get all of my issues repaired. I'll try to find this thread again when I start to hear from them or get my tablet back and I'll report in it how well things appear to be fixed.

2. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yo ceci,

I sent mine away the 2nd time to get those problems fixed (except for the wireless). I can tell u with great confidence that the fingerprint sensor panel will be fixed, mine hasn't fallen off yet. The pen silo still scratches the pen a bit but nowhere near as much as it used to. The battery was replaced, first thing I did upon receiving it was checking battery wear, it was at 7% (normal i suspect?). As for the static, there is no solution to that. Apparently they changed the motherboard in mine. I reckon there was no improvement, although the technician swears that there is a huge difference. What ever happened to "the customer is always right" .. besides aren't i the one that uses it every bloody day, i think i would know better. Anyway nuff off my rambling, goodluck with your repair and let us know if anythin good comes out of it.

Cheers

3. cecirdr

Ergh...not good. I did include in my problem explanation page that the static might not be hearable with higher impedence headphones. IOW, with my sennheisers I don't hear it, but with my low impedence etymotics I do. I hope they techs do more than just listen with cheap, high impedence headphones. Do you plan to RMA it again for the static?

Since they replaced your battery, how is the new one holding out?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ceci

4. docta b

docta b Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

Ive been lurking on this site ever since i decided to get a tablet pc. i finally chose the r1f and with all the talk of battery and static problems i have a question regarding warranty and repair. Are we reimbursed for the times we have to send the machine to asus for a repair or do we have to pay for the shipping cost on our own each time? It seems like that could add up pretty quick for a 10-15 pound package...i apologize ahead of time if this question has been answered already but i didnt find it in my search so far. Thanks for your help

5. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not good? That's exactally what I said. Asus didn't seem to give a damn or do anything about it.

I do plan to RMA it again for static, hell, i've sent it to them two times already. First time being for the static & silo scratches, and the second time for the aforementioned problems. Third time RMA (in process) for a battery of which i'm still awaiting reply.

First battery lasted about 3-4 weeks and reached 25% on almost no usage.
    Second battery was taken through uni with minimal usage, it lasted about a month or so and reached 51%. Awaiting the 3rd one, but i've got a feeling it's going to be the same thing. I'm just going to keep RMAing until Asus get their act together or if warranty runs out (which is why they are stalling? who knows!).

6. cecirdr

No. I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how I wanted to ship the tablet since to original box was very heavy and included way too much "stuff". The repair instructions say to never send more than what's required. So I packed it up with a fed ex ground box from the shipping facility. The R1F fit perfectly inside with some bubble wrap and packing peanuts (put in tight to avoid settling and allowing the tablet to shift around). The total weight was down to a bit under 6 pounds that way. So it was somewhat affordable.

Now, if you have to send the unit in for repair more than once, I surely hope that Asus pays for the shipping those times. Last summer, I sent my fujitsu desktop replacement in for repair. I paid the first time, but when it wasn't fixed right, fujitsu gave me their fedex number to ship it again at their cost the second time. (It took 3 times since the tech didn't put the screen back correctly and the light leakage was horrendous, ...the washout was terrible).

FWIW, I'm mortified by the possibility that this notebook may never perform as advertised. I'm guessing though that there must be some units out there without these problems, or else the forums would be even more swamped with complaints. My advice though... if you get your unit in and hear static on the headphone port or start to notice the battery wearing down quickly, send it back for a refund....even if it means a restocking fee.

At any rate, let us know when your tablet arrives and whether it appears to be a working unit or one with troubles.

Ceci

7. cecirdr

I hope Asus is paying for the shipping now since they didn't fix your computer the first time. I'm guessing that for the battery you're just RMA'ing the battery and not the laptop. But dang...your experience with repair strongly implies that Asus doesnt' know what's going on or hasn't developed a repair strategy for these units yet.

I hope we don't have to live with the headphone static. It's possible to do though. But a battery that won't last more than a month and my wireless shutting itself off...those can't be lived with.

Good luck this time around. I hope you finally get a good battery, but it sure is looking like the problem may not be with the battery since you're on your third already.

Ceci

8. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Two updates for your guys.

Asus covers both way shipping in Canada for ensemble notebook service since the first day of the Canada service center opened. In USA, Asus planed to have the same service starting from April 1st, 2007, but it got delayed a little bit because of technical reason, you will be able to drop your notebook at Fedax/Kinko stores very soon once the technical issue is solved.

The static issue will be fixed very soon, Asus has found the solution for this issue, but it is not in production yet, I don't want to disclose it too much here.

9. cecirdr

Halleujah! Thanks for the update. I may not get my lappy fully fixed this time, but I'll breathe easier knowing that something is coming down the pike regarding at least one issue.

Plus, if they get the process running to have shipping paid for, then there's less to gripe about.

10. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

To be perfectly honest I think some people's reactions to these problems are nothing short of ridiculous. I'm not saying you should shut up about the problem, but sending your laptop in 2-3 times for the same problem when you KNOW that there isn't a fix yet? Calm down a little, it's entirely possible that it's a problem that seems simple, but isn't. For all you know the only reason it's taking this long is because they want to make sure they do it right this time. I agree that the problems are annoying and never should have made it into shipped laptops, the release date should have been pushed back and the problems sorted out, but reacting with useless repetitive gestures that may well be delaying the techies from doing as much real work on the problem as they could be is pointless. Based on Milestone's update this will hopefully be a thing of the past soon anyways. Just my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.