Reviving Note 10.1 GT-N8010/8013 back to usability in 2020?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Shogmaster, Aug 27, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I think you need to film it for us when you try!

Shogmaster likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So turns out I only had 4.1 2 on my Note 10.1, so only apps that still work are Ibis Paint X and the latest Sketchbook Pro whatever thingy. Both are beyond painful at printable resolutions. Ibis is far more taxing than SBP. I'll do a side by side with tab S6 Lite later for giggles.

3. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I were in your place, I'd install custom roms to at least get to Android 5 (to get casting support. I think I saw Android 7 too). Then I would change the animation speed to 2-4x to make it feel faster. The only problem with custom roms is that the s-pen might become worse in performance like what happened to the Note Pro (Developer didn't really have the unit and didn't really care for a lot of bugs). My OG Note 10.1 died because of the LCD. It got loose that the colors started to invert. That's what I get for lugging it around in my backpack with mild protection. I kind of fixed it but I think the eMMC died since I remember it being stuck in recovery and I didn't feel like reflashing it. I feel most apps won't work super well on that one because of the awful Samsung processor. I think that's why I was just glad to get rid of it and replace it with a snapdragon one.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The 4.2.1 feels sufficiently snappy IMO. The problem is simply the 1.4GHz A9s trying to deal with modern apps. No amount of magical custom ROM would fix that problem. lol

I also love the charm and nostalgia of 4.2.1. I wouldn't want to ruin that with some bastard custom ROM of Android 5 or even 7. And also read nightmares about S-Pen not working in those ROMs.

If anything, I'd like to see if there is official Samsung ROM for 4.4.2 in order to install SuperDisplay on it. That would be the only thing that would bring back genuine usability to the S-{en trapped in marriage to that ancient SoC...

5. fvig2001

fvig2001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I personally reverted to 5.0 on my Note Pro because the custom roms were kind of bad.