Reviving Note 10.1 GT-N8010/8013 back to usability in 2020?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Shogmaster, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I just got me a Tab S6 Lite few days ago and LOVING it. Such a great lil machine especially for the bundle and price I got from Costco. Even for a 350 MSRP machine, it's so very capable. I remember spending $500 on the original Note 10.1 being really happy with that, until I figured out all the Android art apps available then suuuuuuucked. (Thank F for Samsung bringing CSP to Android).

I looked up OG Note's specs and as expected, you get so much more for less now, even though S6 Lite is mid range in specs. 1.4GHz quad core A9 was top of the line back in 2012, as was 2GB of RAM. My machine had 16GB of eMMC, probably 4.0. The LCD was only 1280x800 so it was snappy enough with those specs. But now I wanted to know how it would feel while handling modern apps and UI. I found myself looking up used Note 10.1 on eBay. $80 BIN seemed crazy high for 8 year old Android tablet, but I guess them S-pens...

Then I remembered: Mom still has my old Note 10.1 somewhere. I called her up and she thinks she knows where it is. She hasn't use it since the charger broke few years back and I got her a much faster phablet phone. So I guess I'm getting back the old Note 10.1 for a cost of a replacement charger.

So the question then is, how do I make it usable in 2020? IIRC it ran 4.1 Jellybean. No way any of the current apps will run on that. So I need a new custom ROM at least, but which ROM? I don't keep up with the Android custom ROM scene so I'm clueless. Can I even find a ROM that supports the thing with anything close to current Android? Do I go with something like Lineage OS or some other Android forks?

Please let me know if any of you have revived OG Note 10.1 recently this way and point me towards a reliable and stable custom ROM for it. I will dp my on search and report back.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have both the 2012 Note 10.1 and the 2014 Note 10.1....somewhere....I'll try and dig them out of my storage if I get the chance.

I last used my Note 10 2014 back in 2017/2018...however one thing I have noticed with both notes...after considerable time, the performance seemed to atrophy. Like drawing in sketchbook or Medibang Paint would be fine during the first year or two, but then after a few years, it would be almost unusable. Not sure if its because of updates to Android, or updates to the Apps, but the degrading of performance on Android always seemed to me to be way worse then with equivalently aged windows devices.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have the 2012 version and it still runs as is. Kind of. Slowly. With huge delays from tapping an icon until something happens. Mainly I watch YT on it and once they start they run just fine,

4. Shogmaster

I wonder if eMMC and lack of TRIM is the culprit of slow down...

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yea my Note 12 has become such a slow turtle, I find it pretty hard to use for too long. I still animate some stuff for fun on it with the excellent Rough Animator app and use it to browse pinterest or use it for reference when Im sketching... but it wont even reliably play hearthstone anymore, it just crashes as so many apps no longer optimize for these older chipsets and since it doesnt get updated android versions anymore, it just falls behind in performance and compatibility. Its kind of sad, especially when you think of how great the screen is even by today's standards: 12.2-inch 2560x1600 WQXGA Display. Nothing to scoff at, and still looks great playing media... but yea Android doesn't age very well.

Shog, have you looked or asked here yet? https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10-1/general

6. Shogmaster

Yeah, looks like drudging they XDA forums is my only choice...

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Is there some site where you can search for optimal apps for older devices? And download them?
    Maybe installing those will make it run reasonable smooth again.

8. Shogmaster

Got Note 10.1 back from mom and got delivered a new charge cable today.

Charged for an hour and the battery seems like its barely holding on. lol

Booted it up and OMG Android 4.1 is quaint... It sees my wifi router and says connected but Play Store refuses to connect. Jeez Louiz... Kinda stuck now unless I get a new custom ROM into this, but I kinda wanna keep the OS as it is . It's super neato to go back in time like this. Seems to run OK.

I had installed Sketchbook Express on it and I can't go beyond 1280x800 canvas and WTF I dont think the brushes utilize pressure sensitivity! The brushes all seems to fake the pressure curve. Wacky...

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Can't you install full free mobile sketchbook on it still? Or maybe an older version of ArtFlow?
    Or does it not install on the ancient jellybean?

EDIT* nvm, I see that you aren't able to connect to the store. You could always download the apk's elsewhere and install them manually maybe...

10. Shogmaster

Apparently current Infinite Painter supports back to Android 4.2.1! So I'm gonna try and side load it. Watching 1.4GHz quad core Cortex A9 struggling with this app should be HILARious...