Revisiting the Surface Pro 4

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dellaster, Oct 1, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I feel ya, I have a Surface Pro 5 and with my main uses are Websurfing, Clip Studio, and VSCode, and its 7th gen i5 and integrated graphics runs everything I throw at it fine. Aside from my desire for that damned USB-C port added with the Pro 7, beyond the use of that port, there is little benefit for me to upgrade.

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Yeah, USB-C would be nice as well as the Xe graphics in the SP7+. Otherwise I’m not seeing value for all the money I would have to spend on a newer one. In a blind test I bet I would fail to detect any differences between my SP4 and a new SP7 (if the USB-C port was covered).

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Now you guys are really making me feel bad having abandoned my Galaxy Book 12 - it has a one year newer gen 7 processor compared to SP 4...

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Coincidentally I was also looking for GB12s when I got the SP4 but none were for sale on Ebay or Swappa at the time. At least, none that were as much of a deal.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's such a disappointment that Samsung abandoned the GB12 - had they put the kickstand on it, and incorporated an S-Pen, it would STILL be the best portable Windows 10 computer ever made. I would love to see what my GB 12 could do with an 11th gen i5 plus Iris Xe graphics, 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD.

I truly understand the feeling the SP7 is just not that much of an improvement over the SP4.

eBay sellers are asking $1400-$1700 for new in box GB12, and found only one for $699 used. Maybe I better fire up my eBay account...

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Over in the Samsung board, there are rumors that Samsung will be naming the Galaxy Book Flex's successor, the Galaxy Book Pro, and it will have the 13/15 screen size options, but the 15-inch model has a 360 attached to its name, which I'm speculating could mean the 13-inch Non-360 Galaxy Book Pro might take a form factor more in line with those beloved first gen Galaxy Books. As much as I would also wish for it to be more Surface Pro like with a built in kickstand and separate keyboard cover, they did that for the WOA Galaxy Book 2, but they foolishly engineered it not taking into consideration EMR's natural weakness against magnets. WOA grievances aside, the Galaxy Book 2 was an EMR disaster.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes and it looks like the new Samsung 360 will have a siloed pen. Now, how do I get these guys to talk to the tablet division?

sonichedgehog360 and hiramkey like this.