Reviews of online modellers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 6, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, so far I've tried vectary.io, clara.io and now edges.io - sketchup has also gone online - any other suggestions?

My personal favourite is edges.io - the functions are largely much of a muchness but the interface on edges is much more accessible (to old eyes like mine) and it works well with a stylus. (Mind you - vectary does let you draw polygonal shapes.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Paul_Conn and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

You should add the online free sketchup.

https://app.sketchup.com/app?hl=en

Using this for some furniture ideas from recycled wood - old floors from when my house flooded 2 years ago. The wood has been treated and cleaned.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

WillAdams and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Hi @Steve S , @WillAdams - my personal goal with modellers (having tried a variety) is twofold -
    - personal use is to build low poly models just for fun and these apps in the above list work great for this. That's basically what the online applications offer - cheap easy fun (sounds a bit dubious)

- tidy up scanned 3D clay sculpture to then 3D print. This is the one I'm taking more seriously as things like zbrush are quite an outlay which you would want to get your money back on.

I've tried building up human figurines from scratch in things like Softimage / Maya / Blender etc etc but hated it. There's something that my head hates about building an accurate figure from a single polygon or similar in such an app and I'm way faster building up an accurate model in real clay anyway. So in another forum, I am looking at bigger, more powerful applications and cleanup tools as well as printing technology - for the more serious side of 3D work.

What do you guys use 3D modellers for (if you can talk about it in public!)

WillAdams likes this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use OpenSCAD for stuff such as:

[​IMG]

doobiedoobiedum likes this.