Review of HP TM2 with 1.3Ghz and 4500MHD

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Sedgr, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Sedgr

Sedgr Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought Id give a bit of an update. I havent been running any sort of 3d modeling program so I dont know how the machine would perform under those conditions.

I have however been playing WoW a decent amount on it and thats still going better than I expected. I suspect 3d modeling would be a case of works, but not amazingly. You would probably want the ATI graphics option for any heavy lifting.

Ive been playing WoW in slate mode with a couple of customized onscreen keyboards and Ive got to say its a blast. Touch based spell casting and attacks just feels really interesting. Im tempted to call it "organic" or something but I dont know a good word to describe it. Just know its a lot of fun!

Oddly enough another game Ive been playing a lot in slate is just plain old Windows Solitaire. Seems silly but touching the cards and moving them around the screen feels really natural. Makes me want to whip up a digital card deck and table just so I can play against a family member on the same screen. Could be fun anyways.

Battery life has been great so far for me. Better than I expected. Last night I was lounging around with the screen on whatever the default brightness is, wifi on, streaming full screen movies from my main machine onto the TM2. I had done a couple hours of surfing before I watched the two movies, and the battery was still going at 30% or so by the end of them. Im impressed.

Im so glad I went with more of a full power laptop than a touch netbook or an iPad. Really its just been great.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The tm2 truly is magical. It does so much and is so functional and is so well built that as far as consumer TPCs go it is revolutionary. Its the most functional mobile computer on the planet right now.

TPC fans like me have waited the better part of a decade for this type of machine.

3. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received mine today paying some 1100USD (for the 1.3GHz, the dual GPUs, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD - basically the stock eg-model they sell in europe) and you're right, it's a blast. I'm extremely impressed. Great feel with the metal and quite a solid build - it doesn't feel cheap at all. And then there is the functionality...

Only thing that's bothering me atm is that the top row doesn't default to F1 etc but to the secondary functions. That makes it kinda strange to hit alt-f4 etc. It might need some time to get used to.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

+1. There's probably a way to change this behavior. Need to look into it.

5. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I read you can change that back to "normal" in the BIOS. Haven't looked though myself.

6. rhizome

rhizome Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately HP, has hamstrung the Canadian option by not offering the ATI option. Pity. They could of had a sale.:mad:

7. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, you can change it in the bios. The only F key I use is F5 (to refresh), and that's rarely, so I just left it as it was.