Review my Quote (c-140x)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by mcurry5, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irhumbled

irhumbled Pen Pal - Newbie

I talked to a rep today (Seth Tucker) about a Gateway c-140x. I'm a college student so, honestly, I'm looking to see how much I can squeeze out of Gateway and get a few nice upgrades. Tell me what you guys think from my quote. I'm eternally grateful for your guy's help. Thanks so much fellow tabletpcreviewers!

Total Solution Price
    List Price: $1,919.98 Subtotal: $1,496.78
    Your Price: $1,545.78 Shipping & Handling: $49.00
    You Saved: $374.20 Tax: $91.97
    Recycle Fee: $6.00
    ---------------------------- -------------
    TOTAL QUOTE PRICE: $1,643.75

Qty System Unit Price Ext. Price
    1 Gateway® C-140X $1,496.78 $1,496.78
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5250 (1.50GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
    Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules) $120.00
    Hard Drive: 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Optical Drive: 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM $39.20
    Warranty: 4 Year Value Plus Plan (Tech Support - Parts - At Home Service) $279.99
    Accidental Damage Plan: Four years accidental damage plan $79.20
    Chassis: Chassis w/ ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300 HD 256MB PCI Express Graphics (128MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory™ Technology) and Fingerprint Reader $103.20
    Battery: Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty (to accommodate additional cells, this battery extends beyond the end of the system) $35.20
    Adapter: 90 Watt AC Adapter
    Wireless Network: Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module $40.00

P.S. I tried to delete all of the obvious irrelevant information and just show the upgrades I was paying for. I told him I was a college student and he was telling me I could probably give me 20% off with manager approval. He's going to call me back in 16-18 hours, meaning sometime tomorrow. I'm looking to see if this is a good buy, or if I should squeeze out more from him. Thanks gents!

2. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

When I bought mine, they gave me whatever the sale price (including all instant savings) then any accessories I wanted and just gave me a flat 20% off on everything, the sales rep said she'd give me 20% off if I order through her and just give her a call if I'm ready, I called back after a weekend and ordered. They waived the shipping and handling completely, none of that free shipping but $49.00 handling fee. I don't know if the price will fall back down to $850 with instant rebates but I don't see why it wouldn't, especially with the holidays coming around.

One thing though, don't bother upgrading the RAM through them, 2x1G chips anywhere will only run you about $65, and Newegg has plenty in the $55 range. And you'd still have 2x512m chips to do with as you please.

3. irhumbled

I wasn't going to upgrade the ram at all until the rep I spoke to told me I'd void my warranty by putting ram in. I was a little wary but I haven't ordered yet and figured I'd find out later. I think I might be able to get tax waved since my mother is part of a non-profit organization. Also, hoping to get shipping comp'd a bit at least.

4. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the response i got when questioning a CSR about Memory upgrades...

/holds onto the stock 2x512 ><;;; guess it has to be popped back in if any warranty work is required... :rolleyes:

5. irhumbled

Okay, folks. The order has been processed. I changed the processor to a faster one with higher fsb and cache. Really happy about that. Dropped the extra ram for the basic 1 gig of ram (will upgrade from newegg, if anyone wants to help me pick it out, I'd appreciate it :) ) and i changed the warranty to a 3 year with accidental damage plan. Ill copy/paste the quote in, and I appreciate all the help.

Gateway® C-140X $1,434.98 $1,434.98
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.00GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache) $158.40

Memory: 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)

Hard Drive: 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Optical Drive: 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM $39.20

Warranty: 3 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor) $159.99

Accidental Damage Plan: Three years accidental damage plan $99.00
    Chassis: Chassis w/ ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300 HD 256MB PCI Express Graphics (128MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory™ Technology) and Fingerprint Reader $103.20

Battery: Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty (to accommodate additional cells, this battery extends beyond the end of the system) $35.20

Adapter: 90 Watt AC Adapter

Wireless Network: Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking

Bluetooth: Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module $40.00

I was expecting to spend 1300 or 1400 but after finding out the great deal I got (20% off) I told the rep, Seth Tucker, to sell me the better processor (which he did, splendidly). Anyways, I'm really grateful for the direction and guidance afforded to me by the members of tabletpcreview!

6. ninjarama

ninjarama Pen Pal - Newbie

looks like you got a great deal on your laptop.... is your quoted price including taxes and handling?

I have almost the same specs as yours minus the extended warranty stuff, minus bluetooth, and minus 12-cell battery for a final quoted price of $1295. Basically got a $300 discount off of $1500 original quote.

But, looks like you got a pretty good deal with a few extras! Congrats!

addendum: I am upgrading the ram myself to 2gb. Got gskill 2x1gb sticks from newegg for $61 incl. 3day shipping. You can do 4gb, but it doesn't necessarily make your system perform any better. From my research 2gb seems to be a good amount... and heck of a lot cheaper than 4gb sticks.

7. mcurry5

mcurry5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought the C-140 was cheaper than the C-120 ? Doesnt seem so by those qoutes.

8. mcurry5

mcurry5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats funny, Gateway just raised the price of the C-120. Last week it was 1150. Now its 1300 for the same exact machine. What gives ????? You would think the longer its on the market they would lower the price. Hmmmm

9. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Then Lenovos would be $1000 in that case... Market demand dictates price. If its new, flood the market with a low price product. When folks swarm to it, then raise the price a bit, as reviews will keep bringing folks in. Smart business

What a big pile of bs these folks are quoting you. That is like you putting a non-OEM air filter in your car. The warranty isn't voided..

These folks just want to sell you a higher priced product, because I GUARANTEE they aren't selling you a Gateway made memory module.

And careful about abusing the tax-exempt status of your mom. I work at an institution with tax-exempt status and they are no joke about it. We are all told we can get charged (one person did try to steal with the tax-exempt), and her organization could get in trouble....

10. irhumbled

Hey thanks guys. I didn't get the tax-exempt thing anyways since I had to finance some of it. The day of estimated arrival is the 23rd, hoping i strike gold and it comes a few days ahead of that. That'd be crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.