Review Chuwi Hi10 Pro

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by theWoosh, Nov 14, 2016.

1. theWoosh

theWoosh Pen Pal - Newbie

purchased from GearBest on 27th Sept, received (UK) 12th October 2016

This is an attractive 10” tablet that looks great and appears well made with large quantities of aluminium plus the excitement of dual-boot both Android (using the extended device support & functionality of the Remix OS) and Windows 10 for work.

However I cannot recommend it to anyone for the following reasons...

1. Defective assembly/Poor quality control – when it arrived the glass screen was twisted at the centre of one end where it had not been clipped under the outside bevel on assembly. Gearbest offered to exchange or refund the item but refused to pay for customer return which would have cost $30. Eventually I reassembled this myself (an easy job) by loosening the screws around the outside levering up the facia with a couple of guitar picks and pushing it into place.

This could have easily been a completely broken item which I would have had to pay to return, which would have then taken another 5 weeks in total to arrive with no guarantee that the new one worked.

Lesson – don’t buy cheap Chinese items (from Chinese suppliers)...

2. Power-up problems – the device works fine in Android - Remix OS (which is what I am using 95% of the time), and appears to work OK in Windows too (though has not really been tested fully). However there are random times when the unit appears to be completely ‘bricked’ - it won’t power up no matter what I do.

This could be to do with removing the USB keyboard – I couldn’t restart after that one time, could be to do with rebooting into android after using Windows (appears to have done that twice at least), or it could be completely random. It has occurred when I have left the unit in ‘sleep’ mode – it just wouldn’t start the next morning.

In all these cases (so far), after being alarmed the first time thinking I would after all have to ship back to GearBest, I have managed eventually to restart the machine, though I can’t say exactly what has worked consistently. Plugging in the charger for a bit seems to help (even though the battery has had at least 40% charge). Pressing the power button three times and then holding it down for 10 seconds might have helped (saw this online somewhere). Pressing the power button whilst unplugging the charger might have done it once. Basically whatever magic formula you can concoct that eventually results in it starting… All very annoying.

Lesson – Don’t buy a Chuwi HiBook if you want a tablet that actually works when you need it...

3. Keyboard issues – The matching keyboard, though heavy (it’s aluminium) is well made and is a really useful extra for this tablet. It attaches magnetically via sockets that clip in to the tablet and provides USB connection to two full size USB 2 ports on the sides of the keyboard. It turns the tablet into a really solid clamshell netbook. However as I soon discovered, leaving the tablet folded into it’s cozy and protective keyboard is a big no-no. Presumably the power management is screwed on this device and the USB keyboard remains active at all times, because even if you leave the tablet switched off, the battery is dead the next day. Shame. I have also experienced some problems with the trackpad causing the cursor to jump around while I am trying to type...

Lesson – Don’t use the keyboard unless you have to

3. Totally inadequate technical/customer support from Chuwi… The Chuwi website contains zero documentation (1 small leaflet with one column in broken English). There do not appear to be any software updates or instructions (certainly not in English). Tech support tickets raised are completely ignored (at least they have been for nearly the two months since I raised them). There doesn’t appear to be an independent group of users that are anything other than lost and confused themselves...

Lesson – Don’t buy Chuwi unless you like solving puzzles by yourself

There are a few other problems that I have hit once or twice, like USB-C that seems to operate at USB 2 speed for instance, but they have mostly faded into insignificance and I can’t recall them…

Shame, because on the face of it this is a nice bit of kit at a really good price. It fails because in this era of cut-throat consumerism, all a manufacturer has to do to ship units, is make something that looks like a functioning product and costs as little as possible and it will sell. Reliability, quality control and even functionality have gone out the window…

It could be that a firmware update might fix some of the problems, but I don’t think I’d have anyway of finding out if that were the case… If anybody knows anything that might help, please let me know!

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

UGH! I was thinking about buying one but I decided to buy a Cube i7 Book, I might have problems since it's Chinese, but other users said it's not that bad. I bought on 11/11 from AliExpress, I'm just waiting for it to arrive and preparing to pay those absurd taxes, but you can't find stuff like that here in Brazil, only some local poor made ones with old Atom processors, 1GB RAM and 32GB ROM.

3. theWoosh

theWoosh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Katagiri - good luck with your new tablet... I don't know if the tax situation is anything like here in the UK but we have no import tax on Chinese electrical gods and so I was only expecting to pay VAT (20%) but didn't even get charged that - plus I managed to get GearBest (after lots of complaining) to compensate me $30 so it was even cheaper than I hoped. Still would pay more for one that actually worked all the time though!

4. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!
    Our customs system is very complicated. They tax by sampling, the tax from my State is 60% only... some States can get up to 90%. Even with those high taxes I decided to buy because, if I'm lucky enough I'll have no tax and, even if I have to pay the tax it's better than the garbage we have here.
    Look, this is our best detachable garbage https://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.fxreview.com.br/2015/11/positivo-duo-zx3060-conversivel-com.html&edit-text=&act=url