Returning the DELL VENUE 8 PRO - My reasons

Discussion in 'Dell' started by TrackSmart, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ill1

ill1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I respectfully, but strongly disagree with the idea of this being a geek or experimental tablet. It runs windows 8 just the same as my laptop, and my laptop is not experimental. This tablet has been nothing short of a joy for me. I will acknowledge that the stylus is a fail, but with the onscreen mouse program I found out about on this forum it has replaced the need for the stylus. It I need a more traditional experience I just use my logitech K400r with it, and even that set up is smaller than carrying my laptop. The only drawback I have is not being able to charge while using a hub, but I have a feeling either Dell will address this or a third party.

As the previous owner of both a Transformer and Transformer Prime I know what an experimental device is. I like Android on my phone (note 2) but seriously doubt I would give any amount of money for an Android tablet again. This has been the first tablet that has simply just worked right out the box for me.

2. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, 100% correct. Let's think back to the good times...

Remember when you got your tablet and Windows was first booting - the screen was vibrant and bright for a second - and then went nearly dark as the broken auto-brightness kicked in. And you could barely read the screen as you entered Country / Time Zone / Computer Name, etc. Fun!

When you finally got into Windows, I'm sure you clicked on the brightness slider and found that it did nothing. And then had to drill about 6 layers deep into the settings to discover the hidden autobrightness check box. Good times!

Oh, let's not forget the beautiful "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" message plastered onto the Windows Desktop when you first got it. A fun puzzle to solve right from the get-go! How thoughtful!

And remember pressing the power button to wake the screen and having it open to a black screen about 1/4 of the time? That was good times too! Thankfully the second or third BIOS update fixed that. Mostly.

And remember when about 1/2 the time you'd wake the tablet from a longer sleep and the WiFi would be gone? I mean, not even visible in device manager, and a full restart was needed to get it back? Those were good times, too! Thankfully the second or third update -- mostly -- fixed that issue.

And remember that App from the Windows store you tried to open in portrait mode upon initial installation, which completely crashed and burned - until you figured out it didn't support portrait orientation? Those were good times, too.

Oh, and remember when you tried to use the only video-out it had - Miracast - and it totally didn't work for screen mirroring! And there's no mouse or keyboard, so you are stuck and can't control anything on the external display! Ha ha! What a fun practical joke! I guess it kinda works now, after some updates, just don't expect video and audio to be in sync or anything like that.

Oh, and remember listening to Pandora and having the music sloooooow doooowwwwn when the screen turned off? It was kinda cool! Still does that quite a bit, despite the update for that issue. Finely tuned hardware and software right here!

Oh, and remember how fun it was to pull out the stylus and have it hover-click a thousand times per second? I still have no idea where those documents disappeared to! What fun.

So yeah, you are right. This tablet was good-to-go right out of the box. And it's normal to have to install obscure fake-touchpad software on a tablet to be able to fully use the operating system. Or to plug a mouse into your tablet to get things to run smoothly. And to have continuing WiFi issues. And for the active stylus to be completely unreliable. Etc... Nothing experimental or half-baked here! :p

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

honestly, I didn't go through all of that. outside of the stylus issue which won't effect me the brightness thing was not a big deal. turn off auto brightness. shrugs....

and one other thing. the fact that dell has already came out with a number of fixes and promises more fixes is great. it demonstrates to me that they want to support this product. I am all for that.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. kto

kto Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm returning my V8P as well. I've had some serious Wifi (keeps saying internet is not working) issues (which I think is a defect in my tablet, not in the V8P in general). Mostly I'm returning because I'm finding it's a lot more glitchy (e.g. lagginess, clicks not registering, etc) than I expected and the 8" screen feels a little too small for me. So I've decided to wait for the next round of devices.

The V8P has really given me a new appreciation for Android and IOS and the range of apps that have built up (over the years) on them. The biggest strength of the V8P is that when a Metro app doesn't exist, you can fall back to regular Windows. I think for most people (including me), MS Office is the biggest missing application on IOS and Android in non-work use scenario.

Maybe in a year or two we'll wide support in Metro apps, which will be great. I hope developers don't say "Just use the Windows version" and that will delay touch enabled versions

Same thing in India. However, the main problem is these plugins and Java apps are in place to get around key loggers and trojans, which are rampant because computer are old (running XP) and Windows is heavily pirated. The V8P is a solution as it's cheap (which is awesome in countries like India), has a legal and updated version of W8, and can run everything. But it's also a problem because it's bound to end up with these very same keyloggers and trojans because users will click anything and a lot of Indian websites are poorly designed with inflections lurking in the advertising, downloads, etc.

5. kto

kto Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my V8P from Amazon and didn't have any of those issues either, but I have other issues that are equally annoying.

As for Dell supporting the product, I want to see their support in 6 months. Promises are easy to make and easy to break. Right now they going full tilt with support and sales as it is a new product, but what happens in 6 months when some of the lower priority (but equally irritating) issues are still there? Will they fix them then? Using history as evidence, I'm skeptical of good long term support.

Dell isn't alone in this behavior as just about every company does it. It's part of the reason I'm returning mine and may choose to buy again if and when these issues are sorted out.

6. ill1

ill1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you just like to argue, because its not that serious. Every moment you keep it is one you could be using with a device you would rather have. Just take it back... simple. I'm sorry I didn't have those issues you had. The only issue I will directly address is the auto brightness, which I didn't know was an issue because I usually set my own brightness level. I just set it to the level I prefer and its been that way since. Its beyond the scope of this thread but I could name a few problems you will have if you plan to use an android tablet just based off your response.

And lastly I'm new here, and not looking to start a war so please don't take my post as such.

7. crashy

crashy Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive had zero problems with mine, but as a tablet the out of the box experience isn't close to the best of apple or android..... and that is the standard its being held to by most normal people. Its quite quirky, but I like it. I Ave pretty basic consumption needs though..... and this is 100% a companion device for me. Real work is done on my laptop or desktop.... though this could do most of my real work in excel, but the screen is too small and it doesn't have the horsepower to run some of my reports. In a pinch, traveling, this thing is great.

8. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I see a bunch of these on the Amazon warehouse site, under $300 for the larger storage model.

9. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

I pretty much agree with your entire post. but what is so superior about the android and ipad out of the box experience. I had to set up two android tablets for xmas gifts and in all honesty I had my dv8p ready to go within 5 minutes. those tablets took me some time.

10. kto

kto Pen Pal - Newbie

Setting up V8P was very easy. The differences come up in daily use. The most obvious one for me was updates. With Android and IOS, you get app and system updates, both of which can be done with a few taps. With the V8P tablet you get to use the Dell updater (which doesn't work), you then figure out which updates you need (because the updater doesn't detect what drivers you have) and then you install each one manually! There's then the MS updates, which tell me to "Update and Restart" every other week and other annoying things. Let's not forget some MS updates are causing problems with these tablets.

Beyond that, the Charms menu takes some getting used to. I still get very confused when I'm trying to change settings because MS has some in the old Desktop GUI, some in the Metro GUI, and some that are accessed via the Charms bar setting for the individual app. I actually had to Google how to search for apps in the Windows App store because I didn't realize the Charms search button was for the App and not just for the whole of Windows (which is how it works if you're using the Start screen).

As far as being easy to figure out and use, I feel IOS is the best. At least with my parents and spouse, I had to explain Android a bit and Windows a lot. They figured out the iPad (as did their grandkids) with basically no instruction. Apple and Android have just had more time to figure out how best to make their OSs easy to use with touch.

Of course, my comments assume the tablet is being used for simple things. If my parents had to open a file with two different apps in IOS they would start screaming. It's much easier in Windows.