Returned my tx2500z...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Crito, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Just like the title reads, I returned my tx2500z today... :(

Why? Well because I just got another one from HP with the 500 off coupon and it just came in today 6 days ahead of it's scheduled delivery!

Specs:
    HP Pavilion tx2500z
    Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    Turion(TM) X2 Ultra ZM-82 (2.2 GHz)
    3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
    HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
    320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

So far, I'm loving this notebook. The build quality is exceptional for a budget consumer notebook. No creaks or noticeable flaws with the casing and construction.

Some more observations after a week with tx2500z I returned:
    - Pen/tablet functions in Vista are more user friendly and intuitive
    - 86 process are running at the time of startup! Spiking CPU and HD usage. No wonder there are complaints of heat problems.
    - Burning recovery discs takes a good 1 hour to complete
    - Dimple touchpad looks and feels great, but can difficult to use with damp fingers
    - It lights up like a Christmas tree! 14 LEDs constantly are on
    - Keyboard feels very good to type on. No flex and a very tactile response/feel.
    - Speakers are good. Setting the equalizer in the audio panel makes it sound even fuller, but I recommend an audio enhancement program like SRS audio sandbox for best sound.
    - Pen feels good to hold and balanced. Button doesn't click
    - CPU vents from the side and back
    - The 8-cell battery provides a good handle when in slate mode. No jiggle or play when locked in. Also, not as heavy as I expected.
    - Latch feels poorly constructed and a little loose. Would have preferred a latch-less hinge design.
    - Media buttons on the back of the lid are fairly useless considering that quickplay cannot be booted without the OS.
    - Charger is smaller than I expected (smaller than Toshiba), but the provided cord to plug it in to the outlet is bulky and thick. Seems possible to replace with the thinner cord.
    - Screen comparison with my Toshiba shows that the graininess is noticeable, especially in white areas.
    - DVD drive is quiet when reading movies, accessing data and burning is louder.

I'll check back again with some more impressions and differences between a factory and clean install of Vista~

2. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

You guys really are just buying too many of those tx2500z's.

3. seeking2

seeking2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to know how long your battery last with the higher processor

4. cloudnine

Sure thing, though it will be with a clean and modified install of Vista (more efficient, aero off, etc)

5. atom

You run it with Aero off? I find that interesting considering you have the tablet with the best GPU. What do you usually use the GPU for?

6. cloudnine

I've had Vista for a while on two other notebooks. It's gotten to the point where the eyecandy of Aero doesn't matter anymore. Even though the performance impact is very little for the capable IGP, battery life does take a dip when exploring through multiple folders and applications.

The tx2500z will be my multipurpose notebook. I'll be doing light CAD work, photoshop, and gaming (TF2, Spore, SC2, Fallout, etc)

Don't worry, I'll definitely be putting the HD3200 to work :D

7. atom

That's good to hear. :)

8. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

I am considering clocking mine way down when i am out and about using just the battery. If I got a Dell it would only run at 1.2 right? so even 1.0 on the road will save heat and battery. Since I am browsing the web now with a P3 at maybe 800 Ghz and that is tollerable I think a dual core at 1.0 0r 1.2 will do. Specially if I am just taking notes or using the word processor.

9. uniterscron

uniterscron Pen Pal - Newbie

The topic title is a real shocker!

10. kwhy

kwhy Pen Pal - Newbie

speaking of leds...

anyway to disable the blue led in sleep or hybernation mode.

I have 3 computers in my room at night recharging...and its like a disco with all the blue lights.

I'll probably just get out the black electric tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.