Returned my Series 7 Slate

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tai4de2, Nov 3, 2011.

1. tai4de2

tai4de2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Motorola Xoom. I am no Android fanboi and really, really wanted something in the Windows universe, for 2 very specific value adds beyond what the Xoom does for me:

(1) The ability to play wmv files directly w/o transcoding etc.
    (2) OneNote (with a real client)

Although it does those 2 things, unfortunately the Samsung Series 7 Slate didn't meet my needs, and it's been returned.

* The lack of finger-friendly pan and zoom in the browser (any browser!) is a deal-breaker. Opera Mobile is almost there but is unusable (see other thread) and just doesn't play nice as a Windows app (takes up whole screen, has a goofy keyboard of its own taking half the screen, etc.) IE, Firefox etc. can respond to multi-touch gestures but their zooming is not the same thing as a tablet-style continuous zoom.

* The 1366x768 resolution doesn't work as well for me as 1280x800. I frequently do things in portrait mode and the extra height is less valuable than extra width

* Virtual keyboard needs to constantly be brought up manually instead of just popping up automatically. Pinning it takes up real estate and is terrible in landscape mode

* When rotating, I can't keep the task bar where I want it (on the side in landscape, on the bottom in portrait)

* Can't power it on just to glance at the clock. It takes a few seconds to resume from sleep. And no alarm clock running above the lock screen

* Battery burn on standby of about 1% every couple of hours, and short battery life in general

* I find it too unwieldy in terms of size. A smaller tablet works better for me for things like 2-thumb typing while holding it

... and a bunch of other little things.

When Win8 really comes, I'm sure Windows tablets will be fantastic. But I am not going to keep a $1000 investment for that eventuality that is still months or years off. By then there will be a huge variety of tablets with possibly better specs etc.

I wanted to love it, and I did in some ways, but I struggle to see how this slate or any Win7 slate really competes *as a tablet* (it's great as a "tablet PC" or ultra-mobile PC -- not the same thing).

2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for trying the slate. Good luck.

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. It's always worth a try and those are valid grievances. Good luck.

4. Nicholas Rishel

Nicholas Rishel Pen Pal - Newbie

I think with a little more research you would probably have come to these conclusions ahead of time, but I do appreciate you taking the time to let others know what they should expect from the device. Hopefully a few individuals will make the right choice with your knowledge. :)

5. sketchyd

sketchyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm gonna return my s7s today as well. But I just wanted to answer some of the problems you had.

1 In chrome, you can install chrometouch. With it I've had scroll and zoom functions.

2 Cant say, but the widescreen format is unweildly for me.

3 Virtual keyboard can be resized, but it doens't make sense that it doesnt just pop out when you hit a text box.

4 If you unlock the task bar, you can click and drag it to any place you want.

5 I changed my lock screen to touch login. It clearly shows the date and time.

6 Battery doesn't last a full day of use, I charged the ipad maybe once every 3-4 days of use. With the s7s I constantly find myself plugging it in.

7 I think its just the widescreen format, very uncomfortable to hold for me.

But my biggest problem with the s7s is the lack of reprogrammable hot keys and the build quality.

6. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm returning mine for too reasons

1) it's glued, and badly apparently (rolls eyes)
    2) Widescreen is a little too wide for me.

7. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm likely returning mine as well but almost completely because of the glass lifting on the bottom and the stuck blue pixel that greats me far too often.

I really like a lot about this tablet but I'm not sure I'll order another one for fear that the glass will eventually lift on it.

I also think the widescreen is a bit unwieldy. I'd prefer 16:10 over 16:9.

8. TheBlur

TheBlur Pen Pal - Newbie

I am returning mine as well due to a capacitive layer problem. Whenever I press on the back of the case, near the vent in the center, the capacitive layer goes nuts. Very disappointed. Gonna return my slate and dock to MS Store, and wait for Amazon to ship. If that one is crap then I give up. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S for over a year now, and was disappointed with that as well. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges (android to windows), but I just might be done with Samsung. Currently praying to the tech gods that I don't become an apple boy.

9. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also have an Amazon pre-order from way back. I'll probably also give it a try and see if it is any better. If not I'll just stick with my 11" MBA. I really like the touch interface and am hopping to eBay the MBA instead.

10. hysonmb

hysonmb Pen Pal - Newbie

It's interesting to see that I'm not the only one with the screen separating at the bottom, I just noticed it this afternoon. Hopefully Samsung takes notice and repairs this without a hassle.
    I love the slate, so I'll be contacting them for a repair rather than return.