"Retiring" my ST4120 - should i remove battery?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Concentrate, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek Pen Pal - Newbie

i bought a T4010D and i'm gonna set my ST4120 on the shelf as a back-up.

should i remove it's battery for long-term storage?

will the battery eventually "Die"

and will i lose any info on my TPC's hard-drive if it stays off for say a year or 3??

thanks - Derek.

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You could stick the battery in the freezer (yeah seriously) and that may help extend the life of the battery, but eventually it will have to be replaced (and you would have to explain why you have a laptop battery in the freezer). The hard drive should be fine. If the data on board is really important you might want to run a program like Paragon and copy the data to a new drive... especially if it is the original drive in a 3 year old laptop.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Removing the battery is definitely recommended. Charge/discharge it to about 40-50% and store in a cool, dry place (or in the freezer if you like, though I have no idea what the effects of long-term refrigeration are...), hard drive data should be intact unless the hard drive was damaged in some way.

4. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

If I remember correctly, the hard drive's bearing will not do too well if it's not used for a long time. So one day, your hard drive might stop spinning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.