Results from the NEW Dell Stylus for the Venue 8 and 11 Pro Tablets

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Techgeek32, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonOs

JonOs Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received the promised, newer stylus from Dell. The box appears the same as before and it's still showing as a "REV A02". The label says this was made in China in August 2014. However, the bad news is it appears to perform just like my two previous A02 versions (June 2012), and the ball is back in Dell's court as far as I'm concerned.

2. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I noticed Windows Updates are important, too. For instance, the dot, which the stylus should make, was never there, but now it is always there, always working, also in OneNote I get a dot with the colour of the pen I use. People, do windows updates. Download the free version of OneNote, if you have an illegal version of Office, so you can update it. Without updates in OneNote or Office and Windows in general, it cannot improve.

I am also waiting for a stylus replacement. It is taking them over a month now already. I am wondering if it is a new revision. Same version of the stylus, sure, but they didnt really answer the revision answer or am I understanding it wrong? I hope they finally fixed the pressure sensitivity and maybe added a turn on/off button... but ok, it is the same version, so it probably wont feature new features.

3. JonOs

JonOs Pen Pal - Newbie

The one I received today looks identical to the previous A02 revisions, and was explicitly told that it was not going to be declared as a new revision by Dell only yesterday. Only the date on the packaging appears to be any different to the previous two I'd had.

4. Chrischi1988

So no improvements at all, compared to A02 from june? My second stylus is from june, it is the best I had so far, better than the one from may, but I hoped they try something with the sensitivity. Or maybe they will release an App, just like Surface Hub for the surface pro3. I found one thing, that could also be a little better, the tip would be better, if it were able to be slightly pushed in, like N-Trig and Wacom ones. It just improves the feel of writing on a screen.

5. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

What problems have you guys faced with the A02?
    Does Dell send you a new one for free just like that?

6. wuerfli

wuerfli Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,
    this is my first post here, please excuse me for my bad english ;-)
    I am looking forward to buy a convertible with a stylus (just like the Venue 11 Pro) for a long time now, but all possible cadidates have their problems. :-(
    A few days ago I read that the acer aspire switch 10 fhd/11 would also use the Synaptics technology. They will offer a stylus which looks very much the same as the Dell active stylus und will be around 40€
    I've heard someone tried his dell stylus on the acer tablet and it worked a little bit better than on the venue.
    Maybe the acer stylus could be a solution for the HW problems on the dell active stylus?

Anyone here who has the acer tab and could give it a try if it really works?

greetings from germany

7. Chrischi1988

Just thinking about the whole thing. If your stylus was from August, than they didnt really send one of the newest manufacturing date. You just got it and it is from august. Back then there wasnt the Latitude 13 7000 announced. So I guess they still send you one of the older styluses. So I am wondering, what Dell will do. I am still waiting for replacement of 1 pen... Dell has it for over a month now, so I wonder if it will be a new one, or they are just so super slow, as they received my return back in end of september. So maybe they are waiting for the newest shipment, maybe not, maybe I get an old one and just had to wait like forever^^ At least I have a somewhat good working second stylus.

@wuerfli:

Hi, das mit dem Acer klingt sehr interessant. Vielleicht ist der Acer Stylus ja ein richtig guter. Ich warte eh schon eine ganze Weile darauf, dass die typen von Synaptics evtl. auch mal einen eigenen Stylus herstellen, bzw. jemand weiteres die Technology benutzt, damit man das mal auf dem Venue ausprobieren kann. Das mit dem Acer ist mir bisher neu, deswegen werde ich jetzt auch mal diesbezüglich schauen, also vielen Dank für die Info.

8. wuerfli

wuerfli Pen Pal - Newbie

@Chrischi:
    Es freut mich, dass ich "helfen" konnte, mich interessiert das Thema ja selbst brennend und ich hatte die News dazu gerade gelesen. Ich versuche es hier aber mal auf Englisch weiter, damit andere Leser auch etwas davon haben ;-)

@all: For those of you who are interested in the mentioned stylus:
    it is called Acer active stylus pen (NP.STY1A.002) and some german online stores (e.g. amazon) list them as "soon available".
    I hope the "A002" does not mean "same as Dell Revision A02" :D

9. Chrischi1988

Haha, funny thing is, the stylus of the Acer Aspire Switch 10 looks completely identical to the Dell stylus. Only the logo is different. So my bet is, that there will be a new revision that works better.

10. JonOs

JonOs Pen Pal - Newbie

Just had another EMail from Dell after the "new" stylus they sent me a the other week was a REV 02 that was no better than the previous 2. They have dispatched a REV03 to me today that will be with me in the next working day or 2! Will be interesting to see if that's reflected on the packaging and whether the product functions any better than the previous 3 REV 02s I've now tried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.