Results from the NEW Dell Stylus for the Venue 8 and 11 Pro Tablets

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Techgeek32, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope, no stylus firmware. But there is a DV8P Panel Touch Firmware update (Jan. 2, 2014) that is supposed to improve the stylus performance, available at the Dell downloads site.

Driver Details | Dell US

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that for the 7130? The latest one I see for the 5130 is from December.

3. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

been using my replacement stylus for a couple of weeks now and it functions without any problems. I purchased it on sale for $30 CDN. The first one A02 (April build) did not function at all, they sent me a replacement in less than a week and it was the A01 version (March build). Very pleased with its function so far in selection and some drawing and writing.
    Also pleased with the customer service at Dell, quick response and excellent follow up.

4. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

there is no fan on a V8P. :)

5. ssbtech

ssbtech Pen Pal - Newbie

As I'd like to talk to Dell regarding the questionable performance with the A02 (and possibly get in line for a future revision) I was trying to initiate a Technical Support Chat with Dell through their website. I'm in Canada and went to the Canadian site, followed the yellow brick road to get to their technical support chat but received an error saying my product was registered in a different country.

I noticed that somewhere along the line the URL had changed from /ca/en to /us leading me to believe that the chat isn't available for Canada.

I also noticed that there's no technical support email address. Is my only option to call?

Thanks.

6. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes which is why I think there are a lot less problems on the V8P. It doesn't hit the temps the i-cores do

7. Cirano994

Cirano994 Pen Pal - Newbie

So the A03 revision is going to arrive?

I hope it will be the last revision. :D

8. Mikerman

What I had posted was for the DV8P--I don't know about the other models and did not check their downloads pages.

9. jessevl

jessevl Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recently got myself a Venue 8 Pro and since they don't seem to currently have the Active Stylus in the Dell store here in the Netherlands I ordered one from the UK on eBay. It's an Rev A02 manufactured in April and it seems to work pretty well to be honest. I have a Wacom Intuos as well and I can see it's not nearly as good for drawing or anything (which I'm no good at anyway) but it's quite usable and my handwriting is actually pretty much the same as on the Wacom.

One thing I definitely had to get used to though is that it requires quite a bit of pressure to register at all, which I guess they did to prevent the hover clicking. Being used to that now and it's not so much of a problem although stuff like dragging is quite hard because I seem to loose the item I'm dragging somewhere along every time because I don't press hard enough. Interestingly I let my girlfriend try the writing and she got the dragging lines between the characters, while I haven't had that problem at all.

Overall though I'd say my Wacom Intuos is like a pencil while the Active stylus is like a ballpoint when you compare the two.

Mikerman and Mi An like this.
  10. Mikerman

Interesting comparison--thanks!