Results from the NEW Dell Stylus for the Venue 8 and 11 Pro Tablets

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Techgeek32, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the unsolicited A02 being sent to those who originally got the A00 or has anyone who started off with a A01 gotten one? I have a total of 6 between the wife and kids, 4 - A00's and 2 - A01's. We've received the 4 for the A00's but was wondering if we should expect them for the other 2.

2. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Pen Pal - Newbie

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I also received a new Rev A02 stylus today. I had not requested one, but I had returned an old one with a bitter complaint to Dell about it and one that I had bought long enough before my tablet shipped that it was beyond the return deadline when I discovered that it sucked.

I have only given the A02 the most cursory test. It will draw in PhotoShop with a tiny bit more pressure than I think proper, but at least it does draw. I had no hover clicks at all, but I did find that it will skip a bit if I do not maintain firm pressure.

I did not find that it leaves unwanted trailing lines like the old stylus, but it does stop inking if you do not exert enough pressure on the tip.

I found that the side buttons seem to be almost entirely non-functional. I can't get them to invoke a right-click or any useful response, but I have not tried very hard, so it would not be fair for me to say that they don't work at all.

I've already written off the Synaptics stylus as a complete failure and useless product. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it was a case of either Dell designing marketing material that made it sound like a Wacom competitor before they even had a working product or of Synaptics over-selling it to Dell. I feel that either Dell or Synaptics committed market fraud in introducing the product with false claims that made it sound like it was equal to the Wacom product. I think they had done some market research that showed them they had to deliver this feature to compete, so they made the promise without assuring that they could deliver on it.

I believe they clearly stated something like "software configurable buttons" suggesting that the user could swap the button functions around to left-click, right-click, double-click, as one can do with the Wacom stylus. I have yet to see anyone mention any kind of control panel or software configuration option. I've only read a few posts that lead me to believe that users can make the stylus "erase" or right-click through the use of the side buttons and that seems to be only within specific programs or apps like OneNote.

I think they also said it was "pressure sensitive." Wacom's pressure sensitive products established an expectation that "pressure sensitive" means you can vary the weight of a line drawn in PhotoShop by exerting more or less pressure. In the case of the Synaptic product, "pressure sensitive" seems to mean that it won't draw unless you bear down on it with some force and if you use light pressure it won't draw at all.

I got myself a little Wacom wireless pen pad to take on the road with me so I can use a truly effective stylus, albeit a desk top stylus instead of a stylus on the screen. With this I can do accurate, precise screen cap copy and paste operations and pin-point clicks and drawing that I can't do with my finger on the touch screen.

It would appear from initial use that my new A02 has solved the problem of the Synaptics stylus being WORSE than entirely useless in actually causing more mistakes than intentional operations. It does not appear that it delivers upon my expectations - whether my expectations were correctly drawn from Dell's marketing or from my wishful thinking.

Bottom line: still sucks, but not so badly that it will go in the trash.

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that the term "software configurable buttons" was sufficiently ambiguous that one could take it as Dell saying that a particular software could take advantage of the buttons, if designed to do so--and as opposed to the user being able separately to configure the buttons.

And I have been able to erase with the buttons, where supported by a software. I likewise have been able to right click with it, such as within Windows.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. xrayzebra

Beg your pardon, no offense intended, but I believe that the use of the word "solution" in the context of this product is overly optimistic. I know you mean "solution" as in a useful application, but I can only read it as the "antonym for problem."

Where this Synaptics stylus and screen product is involved, it can only be a "problem," not a "solution."

It would be the low cost problem, not the low cost solution.

Again, I take your comments as perfectly valid and thoughtful, I only offer this jokingly as my own take on the product, not to argue that you are somehow in error.

The low cost solution is "use your finger, the stylus isn't any better."

6. xrayzebra

I appreciate your comment and I accept that my own expectations may have been too high - and that I may have been a sucker and "assumed" too much.

However, where there has been a well established product that delivers a feature/benefit package and where a new competing product is advertised in terms that seem to suggest that it will even nearly match the performance of the established product, I don't feel that there is any "sufficiency" in ambiguity except where the claims are "sufficiently" ambiguous to mislead or "sufficiently" ambiguous to avoid litigation for false claims. I think that happened here, and I would expect Dell to be above this practice. I know that this has damaged my very long consumer opinion of Dell. I've used dozens of Dell products over the last 20 years and have recommended them repeatedly to many people.

When it comes to Windows tablets I have mainly used Fujitsu products since 1998, and this was the only class of computer products where I preferred another brand to Dell. I was particularly delighted to have Dell release a product that I thought would replace my Fujitsu products at a lower price. Here again, I was suffering under false assumption and too high expectation that were likely of my own self deceiving fabrication.

I agree that the claims are sufficiently ambiguous that there is no clear proof of an intent to mislead - sufficiently ambiguous to avoid litigation - but I don't believe that Dell or Synaptics is innocent of making ambiguous claims with the knowledge that they would be misleading consumers. Here again, maybe Dell mislead themselves, misreading Synaptics' claims? And maybe Synaptics is completely innocent, having not realized that their claims sounded like they were offering something like Wacom's product - and it was all a misunderstanding.

I am glad that yours is working better than mine, though. :) Maybe I'll figure that out.

Are you finding that this depends on holding the stylus "right side up" as someone else has suggested? That the buttons need to be on top rather than turned to the side? (I like to use my thumb on them as I do with all my Wacom products.)

I think that if they meant "software configurable in SOME cases with the right third party software" rather than "software configurable within its own control panel application like a Wacom" they could have been clearer about that.

I HAVE worked out nearly all of the many bugs in my Venue 11 Pro that had me thinking that I might just make a YouTube video of smashing it with a sledge hammer. Both batteries are registering again - for a couple weeks the keyboard battery would not charge or show up. It has stopped going dead unexpectedly. It has stopped shutting off spontaneously when the charger is disconnected.

The stylus still fails to deliver anything much better than finger tip operation.

7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh, please don't misunderstand me: I think that I, also, assumed that the buttons could be configured by the user. It's only when I then went back to the box and the wording that I went, "Aha, I wonder if Dell means . . . ."

I haven't had to do anything special to get the erase or right-click functions--just using the buttons in the few programs/areas in which they are supported. But I have found the stylus to be precise, much more than my regular-sized fingers, a primary reason I wanted it.

8. mambastik

mambastik Pen Pal - Newbie

Just some interesting tidbits while doing some reading and researching. The following is how the pen got rated on Dell and on Amazon's stylus product pages.
    1's are just tally marks.

Dell during March, scores were:
    1 star = 111
    2 star = 111
    3 star = 1
    4 star = 1111
    5 star = 1111

Dell during April, scores were:
    1s = 11111
    2s = 1
    3s = 1
    4s = 1111
    5s = 11111

Basically the same, just 2x less 2-star and 2x more 1-star from March to April. Now we'll look at Amazon.

Amazon during March, scores were:
    1 star = 111
    2 star = 0
    3 star = 1
    4 star = 1
    5 star = 1

Amazon during April, scores were:
    April
    1 star = 0
    2 star = 0
    3 star = 1
    4 star = 11111
    5 star = 111

Obviously something happened here, a lot more high ratings. Just something I'd like to share.

9. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm getting the same experience as others with the A02 revision. If I press hard, it's not half bad, doesn't leave trails, etc. If I press "normally", defined as being what I would expect to press with a pencil or ball point pen, then it misses every 3rd or 4th letter, often doesn't draw the stem on letters like lower case h and b, and sometimes leaves trails when I life the pen to draw another letter. Also the buttons don't work very well, it seems you have to have the stylus register on the screen BEFORE you click the button, making them very cumbersome to use.

I have a high suspicion that most who give it good reviews have never used a Wacom tablet/digitizer. With the wacoms you write completely naturally, with exactly the same amount of pressure you would use with a regular pencil/pen. Pressure sensitivity is superb.

I would think there is no fix for Synaptics, it's just inferior hardware and that's about it. It's a shame because the rest of the tablet is pretty awesome and if I didn't get it for $271 I would have returned it. I did call Dell to complain and they are sending me out a new pen, we'll see if that makes a difference.

10. classpro

classpro Pen Pal - Newbie

I have ordered a stylus from Dell - not received yet. Is it necessary to use a screen protector to prevent scratches from the stylus, or is the screen hard enough to prevent scratches on its own?