Results from the NEW Dell Stylus for the Venue 8 and 11 Pro Tablets

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Techgeek32, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalynOne

TalynOne Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a new battery into my A02 and it tracks much better now. It's not perfect by any means, but significantly better, it's at least usable now. Dell should really put some quality control into the batteries they include with the stylus.

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any updates or software I should be looking to install? I just got an A02 April 2014 in my brand new Dell 11 (5130) and must say the pen writing is horrible. I'm coming from a TPT2 with wacom so maybe I've been spoiled, but I cannot believe just how bad Synaptics is. I'm hoping I'm missing an update or setting because I couldn't see any company releasing this.

3. mambastik

mambastik Pen Pal - Newbie

The pen is also being listed on Amazon, anyone know if they're shipping out the newest revision?

4. ohwell4913

ohwell4913 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my A02 today and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.
    The pen works when you put enough pressure on it but still, sometimes it makes multiple clicks on different letters of the keyboard when hovered; other times, it drags a little line after I write something using one note app.
    Just sent a return-request email.
    PS: This is after I updated the firmware, it was worse before that.

5. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm beginning to think that no amount of re-engineering of the stylus is going to fix the inherent weaknesses in this first generation product.

6. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm wondering how much of this problem is with the Synaptics digitizer technology itself.

7. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

My stylus works great, and there are many others that have a good one as well. So there are obviously ones that work. The rate is obvious unknown considering the bias of posting to a forum about issues. Seeing as there are good ones as well as bad would make one think that it comes down to the manufacturing. Not necessarily the stylus itself, but possibly the digitizer unit.

Considering the huge amount of digitizer failures on the Asus VivoTab Note 8, there aren't only issues with the Dell.

Hopefully they will figure this out, it's pretty sad that people are still having issues. That's seems to be an issue with 1st Gen products more than it should now a days, unfortunately.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

8. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, the thing is that even the folks that report their stylus working well usually go on to say something like "but not as well as a Wacom, of course." My stylus works fairly well. It's terrific as a mouse, but I do get the lift-off curlies and tails, and hand-writing recognition is poor unless I write larger than my normal cursive. I have a 22-inch 1080p Dell touch monitor, and I get similar results with my finger writing on it.

I don't think that the stylus is causing all the problems. They are definitely getting better as time goes by and Dell updates the drivers and the stylus. However, I suspect the sensitivity and interference rejection of the actual digitizer will improve in the coming generations. Will it continue to be the low cost solution? How much functionality and accuracy is required for entry level, inexpensive devices, anyway? These are the things that I think are yet to shake out. It should be an interesting ride.

9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

This is how mine is now in both Metro and Office One Note with pressure sensitivity off.. This is after the A11 update on my 7130 and I also, just to make sure, change out the battery.

Capture.jpg

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's pretty decent, I wish mine looked like this. How do you turn off pressure sensitivity?

Also speaking about the digitizer, anyone else get multiple key entries for one press of the keyboard? Sometimes I press one letter once, and it types out 3 or 4 of them, it's actually quite often.