Results from the NEW Dell Stylus for the Venue 8 and 11 Pro Tablets

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Techgeek32, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a Acer R7 with a N trig stylus technology and a Surface Pro (old one) with Wacom stylus, and definitely both technologies are far better than the Dell's synaptics technology, being Wacom my favorite, but even the N trig is smooth and accurate. I recommend you to check in a Best Buy store both technologies and see by your self the difference, you will surprise how pathetic is Dell stylus...

and I really wanted to like the venue 8... as a tablet is almost perfect, besides the pathetic stylus and the use of micro usb for charging.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

What would be the point of that? I own a V8P and stylus. I don't own those other things. I don't really have money to just randomly buy a new tablet right after I just bought a V8P a few months ago. I should go to Best Buy to try better things to, what, make myself feel bad about my stylus/tablet that I'm currently feeling "ok" about? Maybe in a year when I'm in the market to get a new tablet that'd make sense, but right now there's really no point.

kekinash likes this.
  3. kekinash

I got you point and you're right, but is always good to know what technology has to offer before doing a new purchase (in the future). I don't have extra money to buy things too, that's why the stylus issue was a problem for me. I expected to be usable, but for me wasn't. I didn't check before what to expect for a active stylus, it was long time since I used one in the past and technology has changed a lot.

I'm happy you are enjoying your tablet, as I already wrote is almost a perfect tablet in my opinion. Just lets hope Dell fixes the stylus issue in the near future so all can enjoy the tablet at its full.

4. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually really love the use of micro USB for charging. It lets me use the many Android phone chargers that I have laying around. My old Samsung ATIV came with a huge power brick...no thanks.

Regarding the stylus: does anyone on here have a stylus that works well? I have a friend who says his A00 works almost perfectly (except for the battery life not being over a month), but it seems like on these forums absolutely nobody has a stylus that even comes close...

5. kekinash

The micro usb for charging is fine, the impossibility of using a usb device and charging at the same time it's not. And the square micro usb not too, even that for me it wasn't a problem, other users have broke the connector pushing the cable in the wrong side.

But very close to perfection....

6. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You forget that this is the internet. 99% of people posting are here because something went wrong, not because something went well ;)

shakermaker41 and sven.hassel like this.
  7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Absolutely agree with daver above. And, in fact, the first posts here on the revised stylus were very favorable--just go back a few pages here.

8. dragontamer

dragontamer Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my A01 model pen yesterday, so I came to post my feelings on the stylus.

The Dell Venue8's Stylus is far from perfect, or even parity from Wacom. On the other hand, Wacom has been doing this for 20+ years, so of course their tech is pretty good. I've used Wacom tablets (the Intuos series, Surface Pro demo units), and this Dell Venue 8 stylus. This stylus is definitely worse.

That said, does it work well enough? Well, yes. For my experience, it works well enough for basic notetaking in Windows Journal. But... only if you understand why this stylus is sub-par.

The stylus has pressure-lag. When you push down on the stylus, it takes a few dozen milliseconds before it starts writing, and when you let go, it again takes dozens of milliseconds before it stops writing. As long as you consciously pause when placing the pen... and consciously pause before lifting the pen, you'll do fine. Again, its only a fraction of a second, but it slows down my writing beyond what I feel is natural.

The pressure lag becomes very obvious when you play a fast-paced game like (10,000,000), and compare it with the capacitive sensor that you use your fingers with. I'm at a significant disadvantage when I use the Dell stylus.

Nevertheless, as long as I keep the fraction of a second pause in mind, my handwriting works perfectly. The many fractions-of-a-second pauses add up however, so my handwriting is overall slower on the tablet than on standard pen / paper.

Note Taking on the Dell Venue 8 Pro however has advantages over pen / pencil. You can copy/paste your handwriting, you can save it into files. You can organize notes far easier. Playing with Windows Journal is a magical experience. And most certainly, it seems superior to use a Stylus for the MS Word stylus features.

So despite the fact that the Dell Venue 8 Pro's stylus is inferior to other models, it still seems like a usable option and a potential upgrade over pencil / paper. If only the pressure lag issue were resolved...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    larsenmm likes this.
  9. ayzhong

ayzhong Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered my pen on 2/21, with an estimated delivery date of 3/17. To my great surprise, it arrived on 2/26. I have been testing out the A01 for the last two days (quite intensively), and my experience has been more or less the same as dragontamer's.

Here's a short summary of my experiences: Sufficient for note-taking, but with a lot of minor quirks.

This is the first active stylus I've had (never used the A00 version, and have never used Wacom/NTrig). I'm not an artist, my primary use for this pen is just for taking notes and annotating PDFs. In this, the stylus works well enough. The stylus tracks very well, keeping up with my pen strokes. It is also very accurate, and palm rejection works. I've only had it for two days, so I can't speak to the battery life, but I do keep my pen next to my tablet in the case...this may be a problem (from others' posts), but we'll see.

Here are some of the quirks I mentioned earlier. The first is the pressure lag that dragontamer mentioned above, which means sometimes the stylus takes a fraction of second to pick up. The second is the pressure sensitivity in general. In general, my writing looks (even more) terrible with pressure sensitivity using this stylus, I'm not sure why. So I turn it off in all my apps. The second is the buttons. In Onenote, the eraser button on the pen works maybe 25% of the time. In Windows Journal, it always works (no clue why, but right now I'm just sticking with Journal instead of Onenote). The third is ink trailing, which is related to the pressure lag. Usually, the trailing means I have hooks on the ends of some letters. However, occasionally (usually when I'm just starting to write after not using the pen for a time), the pen continues to ink for almost 2 seconds after I have lifted my pen off the screen, leaving scribbles across my page (I have the latest firmware, which was supposed to fix such problems). The ink trailing issue is probably the most annoying issue. A fourth issue is the cursor. There is no "dot" on the screen when hovering in most apps and the desktop, but if you go to some apps (like Windows Journal), a dot suddenly appears.

These quirks are minor enough that I don't plan to return the stylus, and the note-taking experience is still fairly fluid, especially after you get used to the quirks and adapt (artists on the other hand, may experience more problems if they need pressure sensitivity). I attached a handwriting sample of some notes I took in my literature class in Windows Journal, real time (so I was writing fairly fast). My handwriting is pretty terrible, but the writing is still readable (to me at least). You'll notice the ink trails on the end of some letters, but nothing major. In all, I was able to write ~6 pages of notes without any of the quirks causing major problems.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  10. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but the writing samples that people keep posting from the new stylus look pretty good . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.