Respectfully went off on a worker at Best Buy

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm curious as well. I do completely agree with you regarding understanding technology. It has taken me my whole life to get to where I am today regarding tech knowledge, and I pretty much supplement it with daily "continuing education" if you want to call it that.

Like I said before, I'm totally cool with upselling and understand that's part of business. But making up lies to scare someone into purchasing a more expensive machine is just wrong.

2. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

It's bizarre behavior to socialize routinely around the process of shopping for a tablet PC. Becoming enraged at a retail store because others weren't shopping according to their own strange process is what's odd, not the salesman's behavior. Ordinary people do not make the optimal technical purchase; they go to the store, and it is more emotionally based than what is the perfect solution for them. If that older couple had purchased an overly priced machine for their son, not much unusual harm would've occurred, and it might've been more beneficial for everyone if they had. The few freaks who obsess over this kind of stuff get lower prices on spectacular machinery, partly because a lot of people who will never fully utilize it mistakenly purchase it. When everyone buys the low-power appliance computers, the high-power PC we're used to becomes something like a mainframe, and costs will reflect that. Your religion that makes the ordinary store process feel offensive isn't perfect; despite all the hours you all invest in searching for the latest and greatest tool, and despite the fleeting moments of hallelujah, every thread is full of stories of returns, and you're still searching. It's usually the angry zealot who is mistaken in their rage, no matter how blasphemous the offending action may appear to their skewed perspective. The world is not an ideal place according to what some technologists would dream. In reality, it's a cut-throat immoral savagery... and it works thus far. While it may be viewed noble to defend against the dishonest salesmanship, maybe there are more effective methods than confrontation in an isolated incident you happen to witness. Even if you spared that one customer, and even if that salesman were removed, this practice continues every day with countless others. To become enraged by it might end up hurting you more than it helps anyone else. Salesmen don't need to be experts like you. Their job isn't to assist in the perfect purchasing decision, and the capitalistic economy does not thrive on rational decisions.

3. Mr. Boosh

Shove it. Way to turn around how I acted and try to paint it as if I was an "enraged" maniac. That's the first time I've been in a bix box electronics store in years.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And that's probably why you had the reaction you did. For Stores like Bestbuy that is business as usual. The old, gullible, and ill-informed are always preyed upon. If you popped into a best buy more frequently like once a month or so and saw just how widespread those business practices are, you would quickly get used to it and develop a tolerance.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, that is the supposed basis for all macroeconomic analysis. :D

In general, I think Mr. Boosh did the right thing--morally and economically.

If the electronics market became purely driven by emotional purchases--as you seem to be condoning--it would create an even more extreme bias towards marketing over R&D.

Apple has already shown that you can spin any small change into a "revolution" and if it "just works (for simple tasks)" then that's all you need. It's profitable to be sure, but what people forget is that Apple relies on new engineering from other companies, which it then refines and simplifies for the masses.

That is the symbiosis of the power-user and the casual. If the sales from the consumer market do not fuel new research and engineering, you get a stagnation in technology: look how little Apple products have changed in the past 5 years--that the future that you are suggesting for the entire industry.

No, thank you.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a difference between selling people something a bit better than they actually need and selling people something that is terribly overpowered for their needs. And if a seller doesn't sell what the person needs, but rather what earns him the most money, I call that lying and cheating.

A good salesman tries to find out what a person needs and then sells them something a bit better (an i3 would be enough, but an i5 is soo much better, and an i7 would be way overkill but if you really want that, it's your money...) but he always tells the truth.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The best salespeople I've seen, including a friend who was in a number of different markets, all did two things:

They learned all about about the products they were selling, and they were genuinely enthusiastic about the values and uses of those products. They would share that enthusiasm, and by the end you were throwing money at them, almost in a way which was beside the point.

I had a friend who worked in a big box book store for a while and in his off time he'd describe some of the cool things he was selling, not in an effort to sell to me or his friends, we weren't even in the store and there was no sale he could make, but simply because he was excited about his job.

"There are these little leather bound books. Hand made! In Canada! -And the paper is made from cotton; acid free and really tough, so your notes won't disintegrate over time. And the binding is stitched. And.., you know that little diary that Indiana Jones' father kept in the third movie? Like that! You could roll a tank over it! They're expensive, but I want to see if I can't get one on my employee discount. Damn!"

By the end of which, even in a coffee shop miles away from the store, you're throwing money at him asking him if he can buy things on your behalf.

Not everybody is like this, but I realized then the truth behind that saying about an ideal world being one where people do the work they are naturally best suited for.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. Mr. Boosh

Even if I wasn't there to intervene, the employee potentially instilled fear in the couple to the point where they were more confused about computers and likely to leave without coming back to purchase anything at all.

It seems like the more sound approach would be to honestly help them, have them purchase a machine tailored to their use case, and make the store more money. Rinse and repeat. Over the long run, that makes more sense.

But I guess if it's commission based with SB's and SP4's putting more money in the salesman's pocket, I see what he's doing. And I still think it's wrong.

dellaster and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So uh, where can I get one of these notebooks? :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

If he had done it the way thatcomicsguy described, there'd be nothing wrong with it, even if they would spend more than they should have (as long as they're being told that it might be a more than they need). But selling things based on lies is just wrong on all levels...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.