Respectfully went off on a worker at Best Buy

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at the new Surface products and checking out other machines currently in the market, and as I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga 900, an old couple walked in. They proceeded to the cheap Celeron/Atom based section and a worker met them there.

The worker asked them what they were looking for. They said they needed a notebook for their son who doesn't know much about computers, and only needs a machine to check email, browse the web, Skype, and watch Netflix. Separated by a wall, they couldn't see me. The worker answered, "For what your son's using this machine for, I recommend at the very least an i5 processor, but possibly an i7."

I started listening after he said that, and in my mind I was thinking "wtf are you talking about." He then proceeded to say that the cheap machines they were looking at would get so hot, that after 6 months the processor would BURN OUT. Other complete lies started flowing out his fat face after that. At that point I started to get upset.

He then brought them from the section of $250 notebooks to the Surface Book and $1200+ machines. I went over to the desk where a bunch of workers were at and said "Listen, I understand upselling, but I'm just curious if you guys are taught to flat out lie and employ scare tactics about computers to tech-illiterate customers to make a higher commission and get them to spend more money." I told them what the guy said and the manager said that was extremely wrong.

I then left the desk, interrupted the guy as he was upselling the Surface Book, and told the old couple they were 100% being lied to and that their son did not need the machine they were looking at. I then told the worker shame on you and laid questions on him targeting all the lies he spouted. He started denying that he said them, but the old man had my back. I left telling the worker he was no better than a used car salesman and that he should be fired.

The couple left without buying anything. I met them outside and told them I had to say something because I felt what the worker was doing was wrong. They thanked me, asked me what machine I recommended, and then we went our separate ways.

I was blown away at that level of dishonesty.

2. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe he doesn't have as much experience and knowledge about computer use as you, and he truly believed those things. Maybe he imagined the son would likely end up playing games, and would be disappointed with an Atom. Maybe when he uses Skype on his laptop, it gets hot and the fan ramps up fully, and he also knows that heat shortens the lifespan, so he assumes a fanless machine would die quicker. Maybe his intentions were to help them, but he's not equipped to do so. Maybe he's failed at everything, and after battling depression he found hope in this job, which he felt he was good at for a moment, until an angry stranger embarrassed him in front of everyone, and he realized he was worthless, so after being fired he used his last paycheck to go back to using heroin.

I wouldn't expect retail salesmen to give expert computer advice. If they understood all the intricacies, odds are they'd be doing something like programming, not chasing after customers in a store. I imagine a larger part of their responsibility is not to provide technically accurate advice, but to keep people happy. If the customer has to ask, then they probably don't really know what power it needs. If the salesman recommends the low-power one, the customer saves money, but then later when it's slowed down by ads, and not knowing how to efficiently use the lower spec machine, the money savings doesn't keep them from being upset. Then they may return asking for a refund. By making them pay more for a faster machine, it's more likely to cover all future use, and keep them happy.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Look- 1000$ in my pocket that I didn't need to spend on a device that goes way beyond my needs make me happy, ya know? IMO, about 75% of the average public needs no more than a Chery Trail atom, which in and of itself is as good as an average core2duo business laptop was only 5 years ago. Those folks didn't need anything like what he was selling. The story doesn't surprise me in the least.

4. Mr. Boosh

Except when they potentially spend ~$2,000+ on that 16GB SB with dGPU and they deal with BSOD after BSOD and all the first-gen bugs and can't even get skype running for their son. Don't see the point in that.

If you seriously believe a processor's going to "burn out" after 6 months from streaming Netflix video then there is NO JUSTIFICATION for you selling computers. It's the year 2015, it's not like there's thermal controls, lower TDP, and measures set in place to control CPU temps...

My Core M tablet runs cooler than my SP3 ever did.

And no, he admitted that he was wrong for saying the processor would burn out. He knew very well that he gave false information.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's a lot of maybes.

You could be right, but Mr. Boosh was in the circumstance at the time and he acted with what he felt was appropriate behavior.

I'm disinclined to second guess his choices because he had way more intel than we do, his description of poor salesmanship is one I've witnessed many times, and I've worked with the type; proudly describing how people are all marks to be taken advantage of.

And frankly, if the salesman was doing a good job, he'd explain his thinking openly and offer choices rather than manipulate people. And if he really is ignorant of the product he's selling to the point where he believes CPUs can burn out, then he shouldn't be on the floor.

What I CAN say in his defense is that depending on the chain, salespeople can have extremely hard jobs in those box stores. I don't envy their positions at all. You're fiscally rewarded for treating people like cattle and punished for being open and honest. Yay, Capitalism.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

What I first thought was, its a son, which is more then likely means hes of a younger age(fitting the context), I think any younger person could benefit from a nice surface device. IF the gift was for someone who never plans to do anything else with it as in some one of an older generation, then a cheap machine might be all they need as they might only use it once a month. Cmon though, a young son, whos going to probably be using it every day, having a good machine that a young person can develope there skils around is going to benefit that young person alot more then a cheap pos that will probably burn out after 6 months(being sarcastic). Especially a surface device which is practically screaming productivity something a young son could benefit from, also with younger people just because they say he only uses something for a few things doesnt mean that it wont be used for other things. Especially with young people, give them something that they can be creative with and who knows, maybee the son decides after they buy the surface for him that hes always wanted to paint but didnt know it till he had the opportunity to use the surface pen, and now we have a young picasso.

Yes I do understand though, given the circumstances I would get extremely aggravated as well if the salesman was purposely being a rotten apple.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Of course a person would prefer a more expensive, nicer device. But I know a variety of adults who work professionally on devices far less powerful and never blink an eye about it. I also know a lot of people who don't really have a spare 1000$ lying around, regardless of whether it would be a nicer machine or not. It's the salespersons shift from budget conscious atom device to cream of the crop, quite expensive, very nice tablet that's the real issue. It's also that he was blatantly lying to them to get them to buy the better, more expensive device out of fear.

8. Mr. Boosh

When I said they were an old couple, I meant OLD; grandma and grandpa material. This gift was for their son, who's an older man and not of the "younger generation." He has no idea about computers and only uses them for the basic tasks I talked about in the OP. Your entire post is irrelevant.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the Hospitality Industry we have this old saying, "Sales sells the Dream, and Operations lives the Nightmare" .....just think about how that quote could have come to fruition.

But the bigger thing here is that the man is a Salesman......and virtually every industry there are some things that just go along with the territory and nowhere is that more apparent then with sales. When you told him he was no better then a used car salesman, you were utterly correct but that ain't just him. I deal with Real Estate and Relators alot as well......and if you only knew the amount of lies or "interruptible exaggerations" they had to deal out to secure a paycheck it would make your head spin. Salesmen who make a decent Salary "Plus" commission will take BS only so far, but a Saleman that literally lives off Commission will push the envelope as far as it can go....and keep going.

And of course the Manager is going to confirm that his employees upselling behavior was wrong..... to you....a complaining potential customer. He may even publicly berate that employee in front of you to make it feel more sincere....but once they walk into the back office, he'll give him a pat on the back and just tell him to try and not get caught next time.....cause there will be a next time rest assured, as soon as you left he probably went right back to it. Big companies like Best Buy will always give the politically correct answer to the public, but behind closed doors, sales and their profit margins are all that matter to them at the end of that day and they'll spew any amount of BS they can get away with if it means cashing in.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've always wondered this, but what qualifications or training do you through to be put as the "Computers" section sales rep. Similarly, what about the "TVs" or "Digital Camera" sections? Does anyone know?

In my opinion, all these areas require quite in-depth knowledge to be able to make even a cursory judgement between competing products with any accuracy.

Just look at the state of general information on technology: even if someone were to read all the reviews on all the popular "tech sites" on every product, he could still be grossly misinformed in general.

You really have to look at specs in fine detail, then research all related terms, and then take the time to understand the principles of the underlying technology. But after all that work, you're still not done! There's still research into current market values, taking into account alternative market channels (eg. Ebay, China re-seller sites, etc.) and projected refresh cycles; then reading up on common QC/firmware/driver issues, and collating general user impressions.

All this, before you can determine if something is actually "a good buy". So maybe it's actually unreasonable to expect sales reps to know anything (with any accuracy or understanding).

Lol, now that I think about, it's a crazy amount of work! We must be nuts or something on this forum! :D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.