Researchers: Use as a labnotebook?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hongda, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hongda

hongda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

Have a question for the researchers out there who use their tablet as a lab notebook for ideas and such. Usually for a paper lab notebook a signature and date are required at the bottom of each page or so to verify the date of the idea. Do you do a similar thing on tablets? Is there a program to "notarize" the date?

2. DragonFlame

DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

Err... Well I know One Note auto dates and times each one of the pages you make.

3. hongda

hongda Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that official enough for research?

4. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

doubt it. I know that where I work we have lab notebooks and this offical lab notebook software. Forgot whats its called since I never use it. I always just use my trusty lab notebook.

But I could see how notary software could be useful. Isn't emailing something good enough as notarizing it?

5. risknc

risknc Pen Pal - Newbie

well, seeing as you can change the date and time in windows xp fairly easliy, itd be easy to make notes for any date and time... but you could probably also fake written lab notes dates too, so i would assume its official enough for research, you sould pry ask whoever your lab director is if itll work. or if they dont know, ask whoever makes the form out that you have to sign

6. hongda

hongda Pen Pal - Newbie

7. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

I think what you're going to find is that since that software doesn't have native ink support, it's going to be a real hassle.

And, one-note is DEFINITELY not good enough for research. I'm sorry, but I don't think a tablet is ready yet to replace a good lab notebook. For students doing class work it's great. But, projessional scientists need the legal security that comes with things in real ink on a piece of paper. It's hard to change that data :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.