REQ: picture thread of XGA screen in action

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by PYROTAK, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

Your concern is totally valid: Over-sized sidebars could potentially be a problem. I never thought of it because I am doing text-based jobs with no use of menus.

In high-res screen, one can increase font size to make things more readable; with this screen one can decrease the size of text, icons, and menus for more space.

One can go to "Display Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced" to switch All fonts to something like ProggyTiny pt11, and AFTER THAT decrease the size of all GUI features (menus, title bar, etc). And for firefox I deleted all the menu icons and changed to a compact skin (since i'm using mouse gestures with the pen anyways). However, you can only go so far before things get pixelated.

Also, this applies only to the Windows GUI (eg the text menus,icons, scroll bars, etc) and some software doesn't allow the change of skins (eg decrease the size of buttons in photoshop). My advice is to test out a configuration on your current computer (just lower the resolution to 1024, taken a screen shot, and display the picture in 12" size) before buying.

2. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

PYROTAK, have you tried setting your own current screen res to 1024x768?

3. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

i have a 15 inch screen it doesn't emulate the smallness of 12 inch well enough.

looking at stuff on my dads 12 inch laptop just makes me sad (its 1024x768). panasonic toughbook wl-2. but i never installed photoshop on it.

4. butanamine

I thought you were interested in the screen "real estate", not the apparent size of items on the screen? The screen real estate will be exactly the same regardless of the monitor size.

5. PYROTAK

yeah but its all about perceptions. 1024x768 might look ok on a 15 inch screen just becuase its bigger, 1024x768 on a smaller screen makes the screen feel like its EVEN smaller than it already it is.

6. butanamine

I see, fair call! I personally think 1024x768 looks worse on large screen because its bigger :)

7. PYROTAK

Yeah low pixel density sucks!

8. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

what the heck are you talking about? fixing resolution and decreasing screen size increase the spatial resolution -> better image per area. increasing resolution and fixing screen size also increase spatial resolution -> also better image per area

If you don't want something small, don't get a 12" inch.

a 15" with 1024X768 has 85.3 ppi (pixel per inch)
    a 15" with 1400X1050 has 117 ppi
    a 12" with 1024X768 has 106 ppi
    a 12" with 1400X1050 has 144ppi

a 12" XGA has
    1) ~ 90% of a 15" SXGA+ resolution
    2) ~ 74% of a 12" SXGA+ resolution

That is. there's very small difference in spatial resolution when moving from 15" SXGA+ to 12 XGA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.