Report: Apple Plans to allow Universal Apps that work on iOS and on MacOS

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by JoeS, Dec 20, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Can only hope, the day Apple bring out an iMac with support for an Apple pencil I'll sell my house to get one. The accuracy of Apple's Pencil digitiser is to die for.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This news does indeed seem like a logical precursor to Apple eventually unveiling a touch/pencil compatible iMac or MacBook Pro running full MAC OS. Despite the massive head start Windows has had in the pen market thanks to the efforts of Wacom, Microsoft, Samsung, and others......given Apples still stranglehold over the creative market......such a device would change the game completely. That is the day Wacom fears over anything since Apple would be in a position to put them out of bussiness. Alternatively.....this could also be a precursor to OSX and OSi merging completely into one operating system....which is touch/pen compatibility carried over....would have the same effect.

As far as the Apple Pencil’s accuracy......having just used iOS Clip Studio Paint for a three hour drawing session last night.......using the Apple Pencil on desktop apps....needs a lot of work. They desperately need to incorporate a hovering cursor......while I enjoy CSP and the Apple Pencil.....in a pressed for time situation.....dear lord it was a miserable experience.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Uhh, I don't want to be a killjoy, but isn't this far more likely a move to bring mouse/keyboard to iOS, rather than pen/touch to OSX?

Once Apple can convince the desktop app developers to switch to a mobile-compatible framework (much like UWP for Windows development), they can then truly replace the desktop/laptop with iOS devices and Apple can finally have complete control of the entire hardware/software ecosystem.

To me the writing is on the wall with OSX never progressing past version 10, but Apple pouring money into developing their custom ARM processors and rapidly iterating iOS to assume more desktop/business functionality. The long term plan is to have a complete desktop-ready iOS and app ecosystem once Apple's ARM processors reach parity with ULV processors in about 5-7 years...the future is dark my friends... (or bright if you love iOS :p)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a lot less intrusive to add touch to Mac OS X --- arguably, w/ the Magic Touch Pad it's pretty much there, than it is to add cursor / mouse support to iOS.

Mac OS X should be around for the long term if for no other reason than they'll want a separate platform to develop for iOS on, so as to retain the integrity of their walled garden.

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

This wasn’t already a thing? Press realease fail - highlighting the impending arrival of a feature that anyone would assume has been there all along. “Mazda announces that they could be selling cars with wheels as early as 2020!” Almost as bad as proudly announcing the removal of nasty stuff you didn’t know was there before. There was an infamous marketing campaign once, for a newer, healthier brand of dog food. ‘Now with 50% less ash!’. Uhhhh, gee, thanks? Thanks, Apple, for ‘allowing’ your computers to do things that it’s trivially obvious they should be able to do.

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

On my 2760p the visible cursor tells me how far off the stylus tip is from where I actually want to draw - from my small tests of the Apple Pencil I found that when I put the pencil tip down on the surface I was drawing where the stylus tip was pressed.

I haven't had an extended 3 hour test though - I might see if I can bribe one of my friends to lend me his iPad Pro for longer trial.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Part of the issue was really just Clip Studio Paint itself. That cursor is crucial for that interface. The canvas was fine, but trying to accurately use all the toolbars was a nightmare...especially how easily resizable and re modifiable all the toolbars were....I lost alot of sketch time just trying to correct accidental UI mistakes. Even saving my specific workspace and defaulting to it got annoying cause I had to do that so frequently. Comparatively....using CSP on my Galaxy Note 10.6....which is only a tiny bit bigger screen...I don't have that problem at all.

9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Until you can run Xcode on an iPad Pro, the Mac and macOS aren't going anywhere. The real litmus test of a proper computer is if you can develop your own software and run it on the same hardware/OS instead of having to buy something extra, though I don't see Apple doing that any time soon since it's one heck of a Mac selling point for prospective iOS developers.

I have noted that the touch experience on macOS has been rather subpar compared to any post-Vista version of Windows, using a Cintiq Companion Hybrid on both. I'm guessing it's just because Apple hasn't really implemented any proper touch input APIs, since it appears that the Wacom drivers simply emulate mouse inputs, and not to the degree of Apple's own multi-touch trackpad gestures. It's quite jarring when I can't single-finger pan the way I can on Windows.

As for the missing cursor, that's one of the pain points I'd likely have with the iPad Pro + Pencil, if only because it's harder to estimate the borders of larger brush sizes without the cursor being there to tell you. However, word is that this is partly because iOS itself has no concept of mouse cursors in general and no support for mice. That's a bit of a setback for something I'd seriously consider using as a Remote Desktop terminal for my desktop.

So that's the current state of things: substandard touch on macOS, no mouse or cursor on iOS. Hopefully, it doesn't stay that way.

WillAdams likes this.