Replacing the EP121 thermal sensor that causes fans to run at full speed

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by tezpez, Aug 28, 2012.

1. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't believe we are unable to download some software and FORCE fans to work on low\mid speed.

2. darigh

darigh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have replaced the thermal sensor. All is OK now. The problem was caused by the broken circuit when you open the white backcover.

[​IMG]

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-08GA1000071L

3. slackfaster

slackfaster Pen Pal - Newbie

ordered mine and got it in a week...

from the german site http://www.zandparts.com/en

cost 15.96 euro plus 17 euro shipping back the California.

went in easy and stopped the fan from running.

very easy fix and worth every penny

4. leonwebs

leonwebs Pen Pal - Newbie

I know it's an old thread, but I'm looking for some help with my loud fans on the ep121. The fans have been working fine for years, but a couple of months ago they have been running at maximum speed any time the computer's on. I'm wondering if replacing the sensor will help, but I have a few questions I hope someone could answer before I try.

I downloaded SpeedFan, and the temperature readings seem fine. I don't see any fan speed readings at all. I get similar results with other similar software. Is it normal not to have fan speed readout? Has anyone gotten SpeedFan to control the ep121's fan speeds, and if so how?

I would have thought that seeing temps and no fan would indicate that the thermal sensors are fine and there's a problem with the fan sensor, but when I hibernate, unplug the thermal sensor, and resume, the temperature readings are still there and seem responsive. Does that mean there are other thermometers on the board? If so why does the thermal sensor that connects to the back panel matter for setting the fan speed?

Finally, I thought the fact that I was getting a temperature reading in speedfan showed that the thermal sensor was working, but evidently it doesn't mean that. Is there any way to check to see if the sensor is ok? Is it a thermocouple or a thermistor or something else? I tried reseating the ribbon, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Oh and the last thing, I couldn't find this part available at any of the links on this thread. Anyone know where I could get one if necessary?

Ok many thanks if anyone's paying attention, and can offer any help.