Replacing the EP121 thermal sensor that causes fans to run at full speed

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by tezpez, Aug 28, 2012.

1. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't believe we are unable to download some software and FORCE fans to work on low\mid speed.

2. darigh

darigh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have replaced the thermal sensor. All is OK now. The problem was caused by the broken circuit when you open the white backcover.

[​IMG]

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-08GA1000071L

3. slackfaster

slackfaster Pen Pal - Newbie

ordered mine and got it in a week...

from the german site http://www.zandparts.com/en

cost 15.96 euro plus 17 euro shipping back the California.

went in easy and stopped the fan from running.

very easy fix and worth every penny

4. leonwebs

leonwebs Pen Pal - Newbie

I know it's an old thread, but I'm looking for some help with my loud fans on the ep121. The fans have been working fine for years, but a couple of months ago they have been running at maximum speed any time the computer's on. I'm wondering if replacing the sensor will help, but I have a few questions I hope someone could answer before I try.

I downloaded SpeedFan, and the temperature readings seem fine. I don't see any fan speed readings at all. I get similar results with other similar software. Is it normal not to have fan speed readout? Has anyone gotten SpeedFan to control the ep121's fan speeds, and if so how?

I would have thought that seeing temps and no fan would indicate that the thermal sensors are fine and there's a problem with the fan sensor, but when I hibernate, unplug the thermal sensor, and resume, the temperature readings are still there and seem responsive. Does that mean there are other thermometers on the board? If so why does the thermal sensor that connects to the back panel matter for setting the fan speed?

Finally, I thought the fact that I was getting a temperature reading in speedfan showed that the thermal sensor was working, but evidently it doesn't mean that. Is there any way to check to see if the sensor is ok? Is it a thermocouple or a thermistor or something else? I tried reseating the ribbon, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Oh and the last thing, I couldn't find this part available at any of the links on this thread. Anyone know where I could get one if necessary?

Ok many thanks if anyone's paying attention, and can offer any help.

5. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, half a year later I don't know if this is any good to you, but....

If the fans are just excessively noisy (like not just on high speed, but grinding or whirring or otherwise making a racket) they may need lube. When you open it up, the plastic fans can pretty much just be gently pulled off the hubs, and lithium grease applied to the moving parts with a Q-tip. This worked for me anyway, to get quieter operation.

As for the temperature, I can tell you that regardless of what reading you're getting, your slate is too hot. I've had three of these things, and basically, heat is still one of the biggest problems against processing power in portable devices, and it was one they were a lot further from solving in 2011. If you do anything on it for a few minutes without some kind of external cooling system, it will overheat and the CPU will get throttled to intolerably slow speeds. I let this happen on purpose when I'm on battery, because it does give me a little more battery life at the cost of performance, but when I'm plugged in I use a clip-on USB fan to help it along, or have it on a stand with a fan in it.

There is little point in trying to get the fan to operate at lower speeds, because even at max speeds you're guaranteed to overheat without external help. It's just a limitation of the device. It isn't worth the silence to be constantly lagging, especially considering the competition in performance from newer devices.

If you want parts, eBay is your best bet.

6. sweetman

sweetman Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry to come up after years, but I'm searching for a new thermal sensor + cable, but I can't find any website selling it.
    I live in EU. Can someone help me to find a new termal sensor + cable?
    thanks in advance.
    tony

7. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

I scoured the internet for this very thing the other day. I only found one site that even had it currently in stock, here: http://www.memory4less.com/asus-data-and-power-cable-ep121-thermal-fpc

Of course, they want an absurd amount of money for it. You can get the entire tablet on eBay for half that. Ebay did indeed have thermal cables a couple of years ago, but they all seem to have been bought up.

But as I said, the thermal cable is overrated. I'd focus on external cooling if you want any performance out of this tablet anyway.

8. swb

swb Pen Pal - Newbie

Do any of you have an ep121 for parts, still?

9. swb

swb Pen Pal - Newbie

"external cooling system"? Please elaborate.

And, do any of you have a dead ep121 with a good thermal cable?

10. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

External cooling is pretty simple. Either a vacuum fan at the top (I use the Opolar one off Amazon, stuck to the top vent) or place it on any kind of laptop stand with a fan in it. The first option is more portable. It holds up all right to heavy use in Photoshop for hours, though if it's still getting hot I can always combine the two methods and keep it ice cold.

Of course, we might want different things out of it. I'm not trying to keep mine whisper-quiet, I'm trying to keep it working without CPU throttling under heavy load. (And I know it isn't throttling the CPU unnecessarily, because before I started using external fans, sometimes when I used Photoshop for a while it got so hot the screen was painful to rest my hand on!)

I don't have any thermal cables to spare, but keep an eye on eBay. I've seen the entire tablet going for as low as $60. (No power cord, but you don't need one.) Someone had a lot of six for $100 a couple of weeks ago. Sellers likely won't know if it has the thermal cable or not because they won't know how to open it (and if they try, they're liable to *break* the thermal cable in doing so). To be honest I almost never see dead ones, it's a surprisingly hardy little tablet. The cheaper ones will be completely wiped, no OS, but I picked one of those up and installed Windows on it and it ran great. You can't kill these things! Except for the Achilles thermal cable.