Replacing the EP121 thermal sensor that causes fans to run at full speed

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by tezpez, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tezpez

tezpez Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

I bought an EP121 from an eBay seller. This particular seller got their hands on a stash of EP121's with the broken thermal sensors (they were selling 20 of them), though being naïve I thought that the EP121 was a steal at that price.

When I received it, it was immediately clear that the fans were way too loud. After much research, I found a few threads in this forum which suggested a replacement thermal sensor was needed. The warranty (which I thought I still had) was not applicable in Australia (my country of residence). This meant fixing it was going to cost a minimum of $165 AUD labour, not including parts or shipping it to and from another city (no Asus service centres in my town)

So, I decided to take a risk and purchase a thermal sensor from asusparts. Link:
    Asusparts

It took 4 agonising weeks for them to get it in stock, then another 3 and a bit til it finally arrived at my work. 7 weeks of a loud EP121 is not fun! I was contemplating buying the sensor from another French website, however they did not allow shipping to Australia.

Anyways, long story short, I cracked the EP121 open following the guides on this forum and replaced the sensor.

Silence at last. Pics below...

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

2. tezpez

tezpez Pen Pal - Newbie

I ripped off some of the foil from the backing cover when the old sensor came off and on the last image you can see a bit of white electrical tape I used so that the case would close without jamming the sensor in the bit between the cover and the chassis.

Also, I had the EP121 on hibernate whilst replacing the sensor - the fan was still running full speed when I woke it. You need to reboot the machine completely before it'll recognise the new one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you give us the french site?
    I am French.

4. tezpez

tezpez Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, here you are:

Nappe thermal FPC EP121 Asus

I can not vouch for this site though as I have never ordered from them.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thank you...

6. Geth

Geth Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello I'm suffering from the same problem except my slate Is missing the small black piece that holds The thermal sensor to the mother board. Did your purchase come with this piece? You can see it in picture 2.
    Does any one know where to buy one?

7. tezpez

tezpez Pen Pal - Newbie

No it doesn't unfortunately, however that's just a clamp and the thermal sensor contacts are only on the bottom side - perhaps taping it down with some sort of a packer might work for you?

8. chicco

chicco Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much. I live in the US and I was initially concerned about buying the thermal sensor from the French website not knowing if they'd ship to the US. I eventually ordered the part from the website. It arrived in about 4-5 weeks. I installed it according to your suggestions, rebooted and I too I'm now enjoying the quiet I once knew. Thanks a million for sharing your experience.

9. chicco

chicco Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much. I live in the US and I was initially concerned about buying the thermal sensor from the French website not knowing if they'd ship to the US. I eventually ordered the part from the website. It arrived in about 4-5 weeks. I installed it according to your suggestions, rebooted and I too I'm now enjoying the quiet I once knew. Thanks a million for sharing your experience

10. Marcus4ar

Marcus4ar Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyways, long story short, I cracked the EP121 open following the guides on this forum and replaced the sensor. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]