Replacing my ativ 500t and galaxy note 8

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by drvenom, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

$400 USD but I can probably stretch that to $550

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I prefer a slate. I'm looking to replace my Ativ 500t and galaxy note 8. I prefer the OS to be windows or android.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

7.1 to 10-inches; It can be an 8 or 10 inch. If the tablet is light enough and has good battery I'll even consider a 12 inch.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No preferences. Well, I don't think I can buy an apple device because of IOS.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

At least 7 hours. I get about 10 hours and days of standby on my Ativ 500t.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

I will mainly use the tablet for office work: Email, Web Surfing, PDF annotating, Note taking, and some light entertainment. Having said that, the most important thing is note taking. I can't stress enough how great the palm rejection has to be. I write notes fast and I need the tablet to keep up with me. I've had to resort to turning off touch on most of my tablets so that I can ink without having my palm accidentally zoom in or scroll across the page that I'm inking on.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

No IOS for me

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Mainly microsoft office and pdf softwares like adobe and the like.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

It would be nice, but that would not be the primary function of the device.

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1080p is the minimum. I know people think that high resolution is not necessary on smaller screens, but I think it is. Text looks awhole lot better on high resolution devices. The text on my note 5 is so much crisp compared to my 1080p screens.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

I will be using the tablet primarily indoors, but yes I would like to use it out door on certain occasions. However, I can do without the future if having it will break the bank.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

I've always used wacom devices, but I could care less as long as the device is accurate when it comes to taking fast notes and has great palm rejection.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I would like to have a minimum of 64GB of hard drive and 4GB of ram.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Micro SD would be great.

Misc:
    I'm going to repeat my self a little bit here. I'm looking to replace my ativ 500t and galaxy note 8. I'm looking for something fanless and that has a long battery life, at least 7 hours. But the most important thing is that the device does great at note taking. One of my pet peeves is that I currently have to turn off the touch feature on my ativ 500t so that my palm doesn't accidentally zoom into the page that I'm inking on or scroll across the page. As you can imagine, that gets pretty annoying. My galaxy note 8 does pretty well with palm rejection, but the calibration is completely off and the inking precission isn't all that great. I sometimes miss how wonderful inking was on the HP 2710p and Gateway M290. Anyways, thank you all for taking the time to read my post and for your recommendations.

2. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 edition. I did a hard reset on my galaxy note 8 and the calibration adjusted and the inking is working a lot better, which made me reconsider the galaxy note line. I also found a manufacturer refurbished Note 10.1 for $279 which is a fantastic price given that it has a high resolution, wacom digitizer, ect. Let's see how it turns out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.