Replacement stylus for Surface Pro 2 in 2021?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ElBiggus, Feb 2, 2021.

1. ElBiggus

ElBiggus Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still rocking my old Surface Pro 2 (mock if you want but it's still a pretty capable device) and I lost the Bamboo Feel Carbon I bought a few years ago and I've had to resort to the horrible plasticky Surface Pen that came with the tablet and it's almost unbearable to use so I'm on the hunt for a replacement.

I've just read through the 32-page thread here, and as far as I can tell pretty much every option discussed in there is now no longer available; Amazon UK has a couple of Bamboo Feel in stock but I was hoping to find something a little more substantial (the Carbon was nice and weighty, but the regular Feel is only a minor improvement on the Microsoft offering), so does anyone know what the current state of play is?

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think your best bet is still going to be the secondary market (auction sites).
    With the advent of Samsung's S-pen, there doesn't seem to be much production for the older versions of Wacom pen tech, like those found on the Surface Pro 2.

One suggestion is to search for Motion Computing stylus, you'll find a bunch of ones that look like fountain pens for their F5, LE1700, and J3400/3500 tablets. I'm not certain if the offset on those pens would be compatible with the SP2, but might be worth a try as those pens are plentiful (used) between $15-$30

There's the pen "sleeve" that converts the Samsung Note 4 phone stylus into a fountain pen like body.

And there's also Montblanc pen for the Samsung Note 4 that could probably work, especially if you're adamant about a "nice and weighty" feel. One out of the box solution, I bought the pen insert for the Montblanc pen, and stuffed... erm... crossthreaded :)... it into another fountain pen body. With a little work, you can kind of create your own pen to suit your feel. You could probably do the same with a cheap Wacom stylus made for other tablet PCs like Fujitsu, Panasonic, Motion, ASUS, Samsung and fabricate/hack your own thing, if you don't need buttons/erasers...

ElBiggus likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm particularly partial to the full size S-pens and OR the Staedtler Noris Digital, love the traction you get with the S-pen nibs on the Surface Pro 1 which is still kicking, vs the plastic feel of the other OEM Wacom EMR enabled pens.

ElBiggus likes this.
  4. ElBiggus

The Staedtler Noris actually looks pretty tempting. I didn't find it on the Wacom site when I nosed around earlier because like a fool I looked under "Stylus" and not "Accesories > Pens" -- why there are two categories of essentially the same thing is beyond me.

5. DRTigerlilly

The Staedtler feels so natural to use bummer that it doesn't have an eraser... There is an update which has not yet arrived in North America that has an eraser and is a little chunkier.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

6. ElBiggus

The Jumbo version is available in the UK, but I have no pressing need for an eraser so I think I'd be happier with the more familiar form factor of the standard version. Interestingly, though, when I looked it up on Amazon one of the suggested items on the listing was the Lamy AL-Star EMR which also looks pretty good so I may go for both. (Amazon's search is frustrating; searching for "EMR stylus" just brings up walls of off-brand capacitive rubbish that are neither use nor ornament, but having found one candidate I'm stumbling into loads more.)

One thing that puzzles me is that the Staedtler is also compatible with the Wacom One, but the Wacom One styli don't appear to be EMR-friendly; it seems unlikely that the Staedtler has two different sets of electronics so I'm wondering if the One styli just have some sort of lockout thing that deliberately stops them working on anything else. Either that or they do work but for some reason that fact is kept quiet.

7. DRTigerlilly

Amazon search is one of my biggest pet peeves

EDITED: to remove device compatiblity..researching further

8. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

For what it’s worth, I bought a Wacom One stylus off of Amazon and it works quite well on my EMR Boox Nova3 e-ink tablet. The nibs are interchangeable with Zbook X2 & Samsung S-Pen nibs as well. I also got a Samsung S6 Lite S-Pen which I like even better with the Zbook X2 grey nibs.

I hear (from My Deep Guide on YT) that the Staedtler Noris nibs are somewhat different and they don’t interchange well with other styli, and vice versa.

I don’t know if there’s a reason the Wacom One won’t work on the SP2. I once owned one but that was a long time ago and I never tried anything except the standard pen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  9. DRTigerlilly

When I look at the device compatibility I was seeing other EMR devices like the note phones, inclined to think if it works with those it should work with the sp2

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All EMR styluses should work bar any of the Cintiq ones other than the oldest ones (beige and lilac coloured).

I don't think newer styluses work worse on older displays, so you should be find with pretty much any stylus. Here's a short list with the usual silly language and cluelessness.

DRTigerlilly likes this.