Replacement Launcher

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by anomaly, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anomaly

anomaly Pen Pal - Newbie

From what I read in the Qt docs, this is only directly possible if you replace the system Qt libraries, or statically link Qt with the launcher since the application calls a named cursor type when it decides what to display and those are defined in the library unless the application specifies its own. These 2 approaches though would also mean any time the 'arrow' cursor is called, and you've replace it with a dot image, only a dot will ever be shown *everywhere* for all applications that would call the arrow cursor. QWS is really really deficient in this area, and intentionally so since it's not really made for implementing a full desktop system and aims to be as light-weight as possible.

Another less direct and ugly hack could be to edit the static resources within the library .so files on the fly as needed before an application loads or if we can find where they live in system memory, overwrite them in place there. This approach however can lead to all sorts of evil issues should something go wrong. Patching libraries and/or system memory dynamically isn't very wise and has the potential to breaks things pretty bad, even permanently.

One last approach I considered would be to specify the qws 'hide cursor' flag in the qwsserver and instead emulate/draw our own cursor manually via a custom mouse driver and screen driver. This would be the most ideal I guess, but is also a large amount of work.. I'll keep exploring options though. I'm sure there's some 'right' way to do it that I'm not seeing.

Thanks, I wasn't aware. I recently upgraded packages on the system but didn't rebuild the rmagick ruby gem. Since the ruby application was still cached it appeared to run fine afterwards, until Passenger cleaned up the old threads and reloaded for new ones :) Fixed now.

2. anomaly

anomaly Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, even if this global change is acceptable to some people, doing this would also mean either a) replacing a large chunk of the eeenote's base system (and praying it doesn't break any other apps) or b) bloating out the launcher's install base considerably, up to 100mb+

I'd like to avoid these if possible at this stage. Down the track though once everything is more usable and reliable I'd have no qualms with replacing the system base libraries. I just want to make sure we have functioning replacements for all the ASUS apps first so we don't have to worry about supporting them and their library dependencies.

3. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for your explanation and you work. I understand the thing. I realized that cursor problem is not the main now. We are all waiting for cool launcher!:)

4. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tested that application for the first time. I don't wanted to test it if it had bugs. Is it normal that there's no keyboard?

Etienne

5. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

How is your 'free' week going anomaly? Hope it is going well and you are enjoying it. Looking forward to an update :)

6. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Anomaly,

Check out the source code here:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/src/GaintMP.zip

Also, the thread here has some background:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/44011-trying-compile-pencil-run-eee-note.html

pb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. DocV

DocV Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree about asus' surprising decisions regarding the included software, I bought this hoping to use it as a comic book reader, and while the screen is fine for it the included software is frankly terrible.

Flat file lists indeed. I would hate to try and use this as a primary mp3 player, which is really too bad because if the software were smarter it might be the only device I carry.

I just want to say good luck with this and I appreciate your effort to better realize this device's great potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

edit: Your Ruby seems to be down, is there an alternate download site?

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  8. anomaly

anomaly Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't posted any updates yet. Even with the time off and such I've found it very hard to find time to work on this. I haven't given up on it yet though. My next update, when it's ready, will be worth the wait though I promise :)

Should be back up now

9. Muhali

Muhali Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this forum is basically dead (or maybe in hibernation). But I am actually still waiting for the new launcher. Will it really see the light of day?

10. Micha

Micha Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd say hibernation :) I'm still eagerly waiting for anomaly's launcher, and I'm damn sure that it will revive this forum at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.