Replacement Launcher

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by anomaly, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anomaly

anomaly Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know I have the environment set up correctly now as the ASUS apps expect. This means the ebookreader, noteeditor, memos, trash bin, etc are all working now.

I also have the ebook and note databases passed through via the javascript object now and the ability to have bookreader/noteeditor launch to a specific file/book, meaning that the next step, an applet providing folder-aware listing and sorting of notes and ebooks is very near (someone familiar with html and WebSQL could even implement this now by editing only the desktop.html file if they so wished). I will make this my next priority.

So far, having now fixed launching of the ASUS apps, the cursor appears in all the apps I've tested - including while drawing in the note editor. :) I haven't found a way to over-ride an application's cursor icon yet (each client/application handles rendering the mouse cursor themselves) so you can only have the default vertical arrow icon outside of the launcher itself but there may be a way to achieve this with overriding library paths and pointing the applications to a custom version of the appropriate Qt .so file containing the desired cursor icons. Having said this, it *is* possible to turn the mouse icon on and off entirely from the main application, so showing/hiding the mouse icon will become a control panel setting people can enable/disable as they wish.

I'll post new builds tonight or tomorrow after I polish off a few rough edges. I'll update the screenshots in the project wiki as well.

Cheers :)

2. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

You have got your priorities straight! Glad to see this progress. A convenient method to add/maintain folders would be nice, but adjusting a html file to link a folder to the launcher (I guess that is what you are referring to) should not be too hard.

3. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Brilliant, looking forward to seeing the screenshots :) as we discussed, I shall be able to run and test builds full-time once it's at the stage of Eee Sync working (or more accurately, FPDFAM working), so shall be only spectating for now. But as always, great appreciation for what you're doing in speeding up the system and increasing its functionality.

4. anomaly

anomaly Pen Pal - Newbie

Heyas,

New binaries are up:
    QtL-EA800_Release_2012-02-27_7862339d.tar.bz2
    QtL-x64_Qt_4-8-0_Release_2012-02-27_7862339d.tar.bz2

I plan to create an 'applet' in html5 using WebSQL/localStorage to manage the notes and ebooks folders. It will map the contents of the eTablet sqlite databases for notes and ebooks into groups, which can then be processed in javascript within the launcher for organizing and searching. The end result will probably look like a typical file browser, allowing you to move/add/delete notes and books into folders, and launch them directly - except it will be operating on database content instead of the actual files themselves (this way the ASUS apps are kept happy as the actual file/folder structure they expect will be maintained). I'll start on it this weekend. I also plan to make some significant changes to the way QtL manages it's known applications list in order to facilitate treating such 'applets' like other normal applications. The changes will also include a way of specifying a default application for a given file type so, for example, you can switch between using the ASUS ebookreader and CoolReader3 as the default for opening PDF/EPUB files with or any other application you have installed that is capable of opening the specified file types. This change might take a little while longer but the folders thing will be addressed immediately :)

I'll post the screenshots shortly, I have some client obligations I have to attend to today first though but hopefully it won't take long :)
    I'll put syncing on my priority list as well. I had a brief look at the USB gadget driver setup the device uses to switch usb modes, but haven't yet actually looked at the sync procedure itself. I can't imagine it's too complicated though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

A tree view for Notes and eBooks? Micha was requesting exactly this last month. Micha actually offered to acknowledge the implementor of this feature in his/her thesis, so if you're interested... :D

Excellent, excellent! Just a couple of days ago, I had to keep leaving qtFM to open files manually in CuteNotes and the image viewer; was a real drag.

Awesome, hope it goes smoothly. Since TheTwo has utilised the sync port himself for his Windows program, you should drop him a message in his thread if you need any info about an aspect of the file syncing itself (though I imagine you've got that much covered, and just the USB mode-switching is the hard part).

I'm pretty jealous of how swiftly you're ploughing through your project goals and unravelling mechanism after mechanism of this device. I'm really interested in tweaking embedded systems, but have no background in it at all. Do you have any recommended resources (online tutorials, textbooks) for me to get an idea of what's involved in the process (and God forbid, contribute myself)? I'd like to know how the hell you're doing each of these things, because it's an awesome skill.

Keep on rocking!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. chris-lawrence

chris-lawrence Pen Pal - Newbie

Love the ability to switch programs! Great project.

Am I using the wrong version or does the re-draw under the cursor have problems? I can never get the launcher to stay in the bg once a program is open.

7. Muhali

Muhali Pen Pal - Newbie

well, everybody is testing it, and I am the only person left who doesn't know how to actually do that. Is there a HOW-TO install the launcher and test it?

Thanks, M.

8. T_B

In the OP should be all info (for the more advanced user). Haven't tried it myself but it looks doable.
    "At this stage you will need to copy the etc/QtL directory to /etc on the rootfs."
    Not sure if you will then have to execute a binary to start the launcher or it will automatically start. I guess the first.

You might also need to edit desktop.html.

9. T_B

Thank you for the great work anomaly. Don't have a lot of time this week to test, but want to try it next week. All your ideas sound solid and add value to the eeenote. We already have qtFM (great program), but what you are doing looks a lot more integrated.
    Hope you will not make fonts and icons too small for the filebrowser or can make them adjustable.

10. Muhali

Muhali Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. And what is the QtL-x64 for? Can the launcher be tested in a x64 environment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.