Replacement for the TIP in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nnthemperor, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any idea of a possible hack to replace the Tablet Input Panel in Windows 10 with the very useful one from Windows 7 or even a third party one? I can't believe some MS changed something functional with the useless TIP in Windows 10. It's almost like they're about to removev it completely meanwhile Apple and Samsung and everyone else is promoting the pen input mode in their devices. I tried using the TIP in the floating mode to ink, man! Did it look like something a 10 year old thought up to add to the OS.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Atticus, mikew1 and revmike like this.
  2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have another point of view. I like this new tip. I think it is a step before the tip be transparent and all screen.

I loved the Seven's one, and dislike the 8's.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Win XPTE and Win 7 had a tip you could expand full page (I skipped Vista). Win 8 went to two lines. Win 10 goes to one and it doesn't even convert what you write anymore until you paste it in the field. It seems to me to be heading out the door as well.

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

This current rendition is a hot mess. It's better to just go back to using pen and paper than to try to write anything more than a few sentences with this. It almost wants to make me return to windows 8.1. I hope someone at Microsoft wakes up.

ships10 likes this.
  5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bet now the ipad pro has been announced Microsoft will be scrambling to fix things like this but dont expect it for another 2 years they way they are going.....

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, on the one hand I loved how it was input sensitive and popped up automatically (and near your hand) when using the pen, but for actual pen input and correction, it's terrible.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I may have spoken too quick. Went back a tried it again and found out in win 10 it actually inserts directly into the typing field as you write, no need to press insert. To clear the writing panel just touch the space button or the return button to move to a new line.
    Still having the panel automatically expand as you write was a good feature. I guess it became redundant since the conversion is now done directly into the field as you type.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple is running rings around Microsoft with the pen /stylus/pencil.
    Microsoft failed to promote its pen to the masses as it should have done and now is turning away it's followers with less pen features.
    Is anyone thinking at Microsoft?
    The cloud isn't the only thing to look up to!
    I wish they would go back to wacom pen and get serious with pen input. I hope you're listening Microsoft... and listening hard .
    Productivity starts with good ideas and great products .
    Make the best out of the best.

revmike likes this.
  9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. They juste need to allow writing everywhere, allow correction of a translated word based on what we have written.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't think it's the lack of writing everywhere that's anywhere near the biggest problem of the new TIP.

The problem is that they switched from the "write, then make corrections afterwards as necessary" model to the "write a word and tap on the right autocorrection option" model. As I'm sure most here are aware, even with the limited size of the entry box on 8 (but also the larger version in 7 and earlier), you could write the sentence, see what the recognition engine gave you, and then use a couple simple gestures to make your corrections, even switching temporarily to character-based recognition if it's having real trouble with it.

In 10, you can't write and go back later to fix. So you have to write a word, then tap the correction, then write the next word, then tap on the correction, and so on and so forth. They've found a way to make natural user input completely unnatural.

gcoupe, bloodycape, dceggert and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.