Replacement for EP121?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by johnh, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnh

johnh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using an EP 121 since 2010. It has recently developed a sporadic fault which makes it spontaneously close down. l'll post a more detailed description to ask for ideas to fix the fault, but in this thread I'd like to ask for suggestions for a replacement.

My main use is for statistical modelling using R. I would want to have at least the processing power of the Asus. I think I would find a smaller screen (such as in the Surface Pro) difficult, and that seems to narrow the field quite a lot.

I also use Dragon dictation software, and use the stylus rather than touch. I don't need pressure sensitivity.

The Thinkpad Yoga seems to be a possibility, but on the heavy side; and the idea of feeling the keyboard underneath is a bit weird. I've also considered the Sony Tap 11, but the reviews are mixed.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions especially from people who have moved on from the EP121. I'm interested in current and upcoming models.

Thanks for any input.

2. TomTim

TomTim Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi johnh,
    take a look at the thread located here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/52592-list-windows-8-rt-tablets-convertibles-stylus.html
    There is an excel table on OneDrive with a good overview for size, weight and other key specifications on tablet pc's.
    And can you please fill out the form located at: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...ld-i-buy-form-must-filled-out-post-forum.html
    You say that you want atleast the power of your current EP121, so that would be enough for you? Just curious because I remember a thread some time ago where someone was searching a machine for the Dragon dictation software and from what he mentioned I thought that you would need a beefy machine to run that programm? And the Yoga is really too heavy? And please give us a hint on your budget.
    Hope that helps: TomTim

3. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're good with the Asus's processor, you will be fine with any of the current models (except from those running on Atom ofcourse).

In term of form factor, I wouldn't recommend any traditional convertibles. I have been using my X201T for both coding and note taking. It was really troublesome to switch from one to another. I'm also looking for the successor of my ThinkPad and the following are on my list:
    - Acer R7-572
    - Sony Vaio Duo 13
    - Sony Vaio Flip 13/14/15A
    - Surface Pro 3 (not launched yet)
    All of them have their keyboard attached and are large enough. The Acer and Sony Flip 15A have the largest screen size while SP3 would be the lightest. The reviews for the Sony's, however, are mixed as well. I read somewhere that the Duo has some Wi-Fi issue.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you are looking for the pure 12"+ slate form factor with Haswell, there is only the Fujitsu Q704 (12.5"@1080p, Wacom, 2.16lb), Motion R12 (12.5"@1080p, Wacom, 2.95lb), and the Micosoft Surface Pro 3 on pre-order (12"@2160x1440, N-Trig, 1.75lb).

The EP121 (12.1"@1280x800, Wacom, 2.6lb) is considerably lighter than the Thinkpad Yoga (12.5"@1080p, Wacom, 3.48lb) as you have experienced first-hand.

Since it seems like weight and screen area are a big concern for you, I would go with the SP3 if you don't mind the N-Trig digitizer. Otherwise the Q704 is really your only choice, but beware, as there are reports of issues with excess fan-noise and processor throttling.

It may also be worth noting that there is an upcoming slate(-ish) Toshiba Dynabook KIRA L93 which is 13.3"@1440p. The weight is listed as 3.85lb, but as this is rather high, I believe that includes keyboard attachment. Also, judging from previous tablet releases, it should also have a Wacom digitizer.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance to you, but the market for us slate PC users is rather limited :( Hopefully that will change as slates become more popular in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. johnh

johnh Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks for your suggestions. The spreadsheet is super helpful. I think I'll wait for the SP3, unless my EP121 totally fails before its launch in which case I'll reconsider the Q704. I had a Fujitsu tablet before the EP121, and was pretty happy with that. I'm not on a tight budget, but I might think twice about breaking £2k.

On the Dragon question, l find it works ok, though the correction dialogue can be rather slow.

6. johnh

johnh Pen Pal - Newbie

Still hanging in with a somewhat troublesome EP121 and still thinking in terms of replacing with a Surface Pro 3: my question is which processor?

The SP3 threads seem to suggest some issues (heat, fan noise..) with the i5 and i7. It would help me weight up the pros and cons to have an indication of the relative processor power of the three SP3 variants in relation to the EP121. Recall I'm not concerned with gaming or high-end graphics, but am interested in number crunching performance.

Thanks.

7. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

Why not just pickup another EP121 or B121?

I bought my B121 off Ebay under $200 just a few weeks back and it runs like a dream.

8. johnh

johnh Pen Pal - Newbie

Good suggestion, webkrawler, I'll give it some thought. How is the stylus calibration on your machine? Especially round the screen edges?

The weight and aspect ratio of the SP3 are still a temptation!

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just thought this might be of interest: New promo video of art use on the Kirabook L93. From reports the digitizer tech is indeed Wacom.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  10. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

Although my B121 came with a broken stylus, I have not had any need to use it at all so I am unsure how well it works.

I do plan on picking up a new stylus from Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.