Repairing/Replacing Toshiba Encore 2 Write questions

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Zhao Su, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Hey guys,

I hope some of the kind folks here can help me with this one.

I'm currently using an iPad Pro 9.7 w/ the Apple Pencil as my main work machine (which surprisingly gets about 90-95% of my commission work done) because my Cintiq Companion went kaputz and I was on a serious budget. So far I'm enjoying it as my go-to digital sketchbook and commission starter until I can earn enough to grab the larger Pro 12.9 or the next generation of Surface with the 6th generation Pro Pen.

I also have a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 8" w/ the 1st gen Wacom AES Pen that I've had to stop using because the touch screen stopped working, and rolling back drivers or resetting Windows to an earlier state didn't help, which led me to believe that I needed to replace the touch digitizer altogether. Had to use the TruPen for touch input, but that got irritating very quickly, it just wasn't as practical as me using my fingers.

The thing is, aside from the touch issues, the tablet still works great. I'm fine with the screen as is, and recently digging it out of the box out of curiosity I've found that it makes for a really really nice companion piece to my iPad; I can look at Croquis Cafe videos on it while sketching on the iPad and listening to my tunes on my phone, or use it to surf Pinterest images for reference or inspiration while I sketch. No matter what OS, split-screen always feels cramped to me when I draw, no matter the size of the screen real estate itself, but having a 2nd screen feels natural and just saves me lots of time when I have to draw from reference which makes me feel more productive. I really am fond of the 8" form factor which is perfect for this kind of stuff for me.

I love this new portable setup I've discovered.

Anyways, here's what's on my mind:

1). I'd like to repair my Encore 2 Write.

The problem is, I couldn't find a touch screen replacement online that is specified for my model - the WT8PE-B264 - at all. But I have found some specified for the regular Encore 2 - the WT8-B32CN. I'd like to know if anyone's ever taking apart the Encore 2 Write to replace the touch screen before, and if so, would the screen for the WT8-B32CN work for the Write, or are the screens for both different because of Wacom tech? And if a specialized screen is required, where can I find it? Because I sure haven't been able to find it on eBay, and Toshiba having discontinued the product doesn't really help matters. I just don't wanna waste my money on something I don't know will work or not.

This would be the most cost-effective way for me to have an 8-incher as $30 touch screen fix is easily most preferable over getting a new tablet.

2) If that's not possible, what's a good replacement under a budget?

I've been eyeing the Amazon Fire HD8 because of its ridiculously low price. Yes, yes, I'm aware of the drawbacks of ultra-cheap tablets, but I've been hearing decent things about it. And my primary use for an 8-incher now would be to use it as a 2nd monitor essentially for reference material to sketch and draw inspiration from. Can anyone who owns or has owned the latest Fire HD8 give me some feedback on their experiences with it?

There are so many 8-inchers to choose from that vary from price to price that it's somewhat overwhelming to choose. My budget is a little slim, but if anyone here can convince to go for something a little better for more, I'm definitely all-ears.

Anyways, thanks everyone for going through this TL;DR, and I really do appreciate any feedback that comes my way about this.

Have a good one.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

1)From what you said, touch stopped working but pen still works? That's really strange, because Wacom AES use touch digitizer to run the pen. If the pen still works, the touch digitizer hardware part of the device should still be good. So even if you replace the digitizer (which is really hard), it still might not help. This sound a like the case of touch driver being disabled.

Did you check if any Human Interface Device or Pointing device in the Device Manager is disabled?

And no, I don't think the regular Encore 2 touch panel would works because the Write panel had extra hardware to control that specific touch panel with pen.

2) The fire HD8 got good reputation and buyer protection and is really cheap, so if all your use case is getting reference image+ surfing, it would be good for that if you sure want a replacement.

But with your Encore 2 write still good with pen working,it could be a waste. Maybe buy this tiny controler with mouse and keyboard would help controling it easier? It's really cheap,backlit, fully compatible with Windows and you can also use it with other device like smart TV and Android

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suspect the failure mode is the sensor can't sense the lower current of touch input.

crazycat likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And @crazycat controller won't work with an Encore since it doesn't take a full size USB receiver. But I'm all in with the nutty kitten that there isn't a problem with the digitizer, go through Device Manager and make sure you have all the HID drivers.

crazycat likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This may sound like Hail Mary, but try flashing the updating firmware, and then (clean install) + re-install the Atom SOC drivers.

6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Shouldn't it work with an OTG cable? That keyboard worked well with my Asus Note 8 on days the touch cable refused to work and I was too lazy to massage it back to live :p. There is also Bluetooth version, but I find wireless donge much more stable.

I mean, anyone with an one-port Windows device should have an OTG...right?:confused: *look at the pile of donge in the drawer*

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Yeah, I went through all the HID-compliant digitizer, pen, system controller, and vendor-defined device options and Disabled/Enabled and Updated Driver Software'd them - to no avail. All of them told me software was up to date.

I tried searching Toshiba's drivers page to find updated drivers but my device is up to date.

And no, unfortunately I don't have a USB-OTG cable, never found a need for it. Plus I try to avoid dongle hell...

8. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Okay, after fiddling with it all day today - uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, searching for new Atom chipset drivers, un/reinstalling Wacom Feel It, etc. - I just bit the bullet and ordered the Fire HD8.

I'd still like to really repair the Encore 2 one day, though, because I do really still like it as kind of a nice 8" digital Moleskine w/ a Wacom pen.

As long as I don't expect the Fire to be like my Note 4, I'll be happy with it as strictly a 2nd screen for reference material and maybe some ebooks/pdfs until I can use my Pro 9.7 as reference tablet for the next big pen tablet out there (looking at you future Samsung Notebook 10 Super Pro...)

Thanks for all the help though guys.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did you also do a wipe of the OS before installing the chipset SOC drivers? Might as well give it one last shot before dumping the device completely...

10. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

No, I didn't. When I was scouring forums for a solution to my touch screen prob, I found a thread on some forum of someone who wiped their Encore 2 and had a completely blank partition with no recoverable OS and was looking for a way to get a free Win8 or Win10 to install, basically.

I didn't really wanna potentially go through that nonsense into the next day, so I just opted to get the Fire anyways because at the end of the day I'd rather spend more of my hours drawing than Windows troubleshooting, an activity appropriate for a younger me that had loads of free time in school maybe, but not for someone who has to pay the bills, lol.

One day though, I'll get to fully troubleshooting it, one day.

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.