Removing Bloatware

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by PeyysAgEEk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. fastflash912

fastflash912 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my new C-140X today and was attempting to remove some of this crapware but I ran into a snag. I can't figure out how to go through and uninstall AOL and the McAfee. AOL is not in the remove program list and McAfee only removed features but not the whole program. Help!

2. capone

capone Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine should be here on Thursday morning. As soon as I get it, I will help you remove this crap. :)

3. Coolv

Coolv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm. A solution that will work would be to reinstall the operating system (and the drivers) and select which of the bundled software you would want (AKA fingerprint reader program). However, you may encounter issues with product activation, etc.

4. brianoflee

brianoflee Perpetual Student

I don't have my computer yet to be sure, but I would imagine that AOL isn't really "installed" -- they've probably just put a shortcut onto your desktop and possibly also into your Start Menu that will just lead you to a AOL registration webpage. If it's not in the Add/Remove Program list, it should be sufficient just to delete the AOL icons.

I'm not sure about the McAfee, though. Apart from checking the Add/Remove Programs list, or seeing if there's an "Uninstall" shortcut in the McAfee Start Menu folder, I don't know what to suggest without seeing it.

5. jt307

jt307 Pen Pal - Newbie

I went the drastic route of doing the clean install, reloading all the drivers. My machine shipped with Vista Home Premium, but I was moving it over to Ultimate, the first install didnt take, but that was a failure on the part ofmy ultimate copy, not the machine. So I used the system disk sent with the C140 and reinstalled Home Premium. There won't be a problem with validation nor activation if you reinstall. Mine cleared all the MS hurdles. The AOL shows up as uninstalled till you double Click one of the icons. If you choose a clean install MS may place a Windows. old file on your C drive. Should this happen, it can easily be deleted using the Vista Disk Clean Utility.

Now one last note. When using disk clean, if you become overzealous a simple toss can lose you the Hibernate option In your power savings. This can be reclaimed with a command line prompt by Googling "Vista lost Hibernate".

6. mig174

mig174 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's kind of pointless saying now, but you can opt out of almost all the bloatware when you order the tablet on their website. You have to uncheck the options under the software tab at the bottom of the last page (sneaky, I know :p).

Anyways, good luck

7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that's not quite the case...

I spec'd it and sent it to the rep without that crap and it was still included.

takes some time to uninstall but its off.

You get these:

Napster
    AOL
    BigFix
    McAfee (90 day)
    Google for IE
    Google Desktop

That's about it from what I saw that is major.

8. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep. The AOL isn't in the install list, and it is actually installed. Or partially installed anyway. I deleted all aol-related files and there is still a friggin little icon on my system bar and it boots up whenever i accidently touch it. I don't know how to get rid of it and I'm not gonna waste mine time clean booting the system i've already set up very nicely... (except for aol). McAffee on mine did completely uninstall tho...

9. ArchChef

ArchChef Chef not Chief

Wow, that sucks, guess I am going to have to do a clean wipe when I get it. In other news, AOL is still around ?? o_O

10. jt307

jt307 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea the unchecking at the time of order didnothing to curb the bloatwar. All unchecked items still arrived on my tablet.

11. capone

capone Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking through my system and it looks like the one piece of bloatware gateway did not install. I would probably reinstall just to get rid of aol if it was on my system.

Did anyone else uncheck these "options" (aol, google toolbar, ebay, etc) only to find gateway installed them anyways? Or is it just me?

12. PeyysAgEEk

PeyysAgEEk I am sofa king we tod did

I really tried to deal with the McAfee, but this thing requires a restart daily from updates, eats up enormous resources, and despite being free, its being uninstalled right now, That pretty much gets rid of all the bloat-ware that gateway installed regardless of my choosing the option to not have it installed