Remove battery once charged?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dpnow.com, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpnow.com

dpnow.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I was speaking to an HP technician today (booking in my tx2130ea for warranty repair after the wifi/bluetooth switch stopped working).

I mentioned that my earlier tx1030ea had died and was repaired under warranty and he suggested it was a heat issue and that there is some advice concerning long term use connected to AC power. Once the battery is fully charged, the advice is to remove the battery and just run on AC.

I'm not sure I could do this as my psu connector is not particularly safe - I have noticed it has disconnected by itself a few times.

Any thoughts?

Ian

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

You shouldn't have to remove the battery. The technology has advanced so far that when your battery if fully charged, it will run off AC automatically.

3. tx2tabletbuyer

tx2tabletbuyer Pen Pal - Newbie

In the guide for getting the most out of your battery on the TX2, HP suggests that the battery is removed once it is fully charged.

They also mention that the battery wearing out is considered normal and allude to the fact you will have to replace it.

Some of the other tips are:
    - Do not let the battery fully discharge
    - Charge the battery only when it needs it
    - Once it is charged to 100% take it out of the laptop
    - For periods where the laptop is plugged in do not insert the battery
    - Use the battery only when you intend to use the laptop away from AC
    - If storing te battery store it between 50 and 75% charged and periodically top it up if the charge level drops.

I know that battery technology has advanced and many of these tips will be a hangover from older technologies...I never bothered following the advice and after a few years my previous laptops have all had problems holding a charge - so this time around I will be doing everything suggested and seeing if it significantly improves may battery life / wear...I'll report back in a year :eek:)

4. feerof

feerof Pen Pal - Newbie

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Removing the battery when fully charged and running off AC is completely unnecessary.

Charging circuits detect full charge and stop charging the battery. It's been this way for years.

I have a 4 year old Li-Ion battery that I used in an Inspiron 8200 that's still working albeit at 40% of rated capacity. But that's due to age of the battery and number of charge discharge cycles.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

The links you provide are to some old data ie: articles in 2003, edited in 2006, and 2007 as is the info from HP. My old Thinkpad laptops (IBM days) did have problems with charging constantly and wearing out prematurely. Things have changed since those early laptops, my next one was a Sony Laptop. In its manual it addressed this issue stating that they batteries have chips in them that the laptop communicates with and cuts of charging when at capacity. My 2 batteries lasted the entire 3+ years of using this laptop. I regularly used AC and occasionally went with battery only. Even at the end I could watch a full movie and still have 25% left.

My current TPC's both show in Vista when they are charged and say "not charging" in the capacity or charging when they are low. The batteries are never warm when at full charge and Vista shows not charging. I can also see the daily drain they go through showing small percentage loss each day. If they were charging constantly, they would not have a loss of charge.

Having said that, if it is damaging for the laptop to top off these batteries every few days once the batteries go below the percentage that they start charging again, I will live with that instead of a hole on the bottom I would create by removing the battery.

7. Donald1

Donald1 Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience is following.
    At work I have used for the last ten years DELL laptops (Latitude range, all with lithium ion batteries), they showed no problems with leaving the battery in the laptop during office hours and either running on AC or battery power. Whenever travelling I mainly used the batteries but in general the charging stops whenever the battery is full. Typical the battery receives a socalled 'tickle charge' to keep the battery at maximum. In general the batteries wear out in two to three years (and they are daily run on AC and battery charge). At home I have two HP laptops and also with them I see the same behaviour. The oldest laptop (dv6500 range) is 1.5 year old but the battery is still ok. I think that it doesn't matter if you remove the battery yes or no, the life time is determined by the charging/discharging cycles.
    Also the battery will get hot during charging but will remain cool whenever completely charged but used with AC power. This mor eor less supports the statement that batteries are protected against 'over-charging'.

I guess HP and Dell protect the battery from 'over-charging'.
    Other advise like (never de-charge the battery completely) seem to be valuable for Lithium Ion batteries.

8. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

I always have my battery on even when it's connected. I've have an HP dv2138xx and after 3 years it still holds charge well. Battery technology has greatly improved with built-in chip for it not to over charge. This is only for OEM batteries but if you buy a 3rd party battery you take your chances.