RemixOS on Dell Venue 8 Pro (DV8P) and some other 32-bit UEFI Baytrail Devices

Discussion in 'Dell' started by VenueMark, Mar 8, 2016.

1. VenueMark

VenueMark Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread should help those out there trying to install Jide's RemixOS on the DV8P (Dell Venue 8 Pro & maybe other BayTrails).

* DISCLAIMER - I am NOT responsible for any damage to software or OS. Please read all the way through to familiarize yourself. I am providing this to be nice. I recommend that if you are not a IT Technician you do not try this unless such a person is available to back you up. In truth this is quite easy, IF you know how to use windows and its functions. I tried to make this simple so my son & daughter could do it.

Step 1 - Download RemixOS 32bit Legacy BIOS version (I know, I know, I know, you think you need the 64bit UEFI, you don't!) http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc#downloadNow

Step 2 - Shrink your C:\ drive (partition) by 8GB. I will assume you know how to do this, if not Google it. Hint Use <Disk Management>.

Step 3 - Now install RemixOS. You will want to install it to the C:\

Step 4 - Create a NEW partition in the space you previously freed up. Make it FAT32. the drive letter really wont mater, so pick your favorite.... I used E:\ :)

Step 5 - Now we need to Move (right mouse key, Drag and Drop) the RemixOS directory from C:\ to E:\ (or again, what ever drive letter you assigned the 8GB FAT32 partition.)

Step 6 - Now we need to Move (right mouse key, Drag and Drop) the EFI directory that the Remix Installer created from C:\ to E:\ (or again, what ever drive letter you assigned the 8GB FAT32 partition.)

Step 7 - The Remix installer also created a directory called "isolinux" on C:\, this should be empty, and in the interest of not causing clutter to be forgotten about, your can delete this or again move it from C:\ to E:\ (or again, what ever drive letter you assigned the 8GB FAT32 partition.)

Step 8 - Now Navigate to E:\RemixOS\efi\RemixOS
    (or again, what ever drive letter you assigned the 8GB FAT32 partition)

Step 9 - edit the grub.cfg file. The easiest way I can say to do this is do a <CTRL-A> and press delete, now the file should be empty/blank. Copy and paste the red text from below back to where you were editing and save & close the file.

set timeout=3
    set gfxmode=800x600 terminal_output gfxterm

#OTHER_OS_PLACEHOLDER

menuentry 'Remix OS' --class android-x86 {
    insmod /RemixOS/efi/RemixOS/ntfs32.mod
    insmod /RemixOS/efi/RemixOS/exfat32.mod
    search --file --no-floppy --set=root /RemixOS/kernel
    linuxefi /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive DATA= SRC=RemixOS vga=current nomodeset video=VGA-1:800x1280e drm.vblankoffdelay=1 CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    initrdefi /RemixOS/initrd.img
    }

Step 10 - Google ---> EasyUEFI, then down load and install the free program.

This is the ONLY place you can hurt your Tablet/PC, so BE CAREFUL!

Step 11 - Run EasyUEFI and the First thing we need to do is to delete the entry for RemixOS, it has wrong information in it. Highlight Remix OS and click the the 3rd icon/button from the top (it has a red circle with a minus in it) and confirm YES to delete.

Step 12 - Click on the 2nd icon/button (with the green circle and a plus on it) a new window will pop up. (Picture 1)
    Click into the E:\ Drive and the border will turn red. (Picture 2)
    Click the arrow next to Type and change it from Windows to Linux or other OS. (Picture 2)
    Click into description box and pick a name that the menu will show you to represent Remix, I used "RemixOS beta 2.0.102". (Picture 2)
    Click on the Browse button for File Path and match it to (Picture 3)
    So you should end up looking like (picture 4)
    Do realize that if you have previously installed other OSs or have bootable USB/DVD drive plugged in, they may add additional options to this list. We are not here to clean that up or explain it, just realize anything else you modify is on you. For the sake of keeping you running if you have done something wrong just make sure the top entry says "Windows Boot Manager"

Now that the hard part is done, Lets Play.....

Step 13 - We need to boot into a place where we can launch RemixOS. There are many ways and everyone has their preferred and that's fine, go to it. For those who are noobies try this....
    Windows 10 - Click the Windows button, click settings button, Click "update & security", Click "Recovery", click "Restart Now", Click "Use a Device" and there should be your RemixOS...

That's as simple as I can make this, I hope it helps everyone who would want to try this.

As for how to use RemixOS or Android I'm not going to cover that, there are plenty of threads out there, enjoy......

Info :
    Windows 10 Home x86 Clean install (not upgraded)
    Dell Venue 8 Pro, Model 5830, Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB eMMC (also on a HP Stream 7, Z3735G, 1GB Ram, 32GB eMMC)
    Previous Work on Topic : http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ix-os-on-venue-8-pro.68903/page-6#post-469476 w/ pics
    RemixOS beta v.2.0.102

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. VenueMark

Since RemixOS 32bit is only available via Torrents and many folks may not have this available to them, try using https://www.seedr.cc/ . It is a free/limited cloud based torrent that requires you to install NO SOFTWARE.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

4. VenueMark

I agree, other operations may seem simpler to techs, but I wanted to make this so even my kids could do it, and playing with mountvol and editing a file seemed to risky. Still there are ways to install to C:\ drive. Personally I like the separation of partitions to keep each isolated. :) that's the great thing about the internet, shows that people have options. But more to the point, nomodeset is the key to making it work for our devices. 2 months of fighting with this product to finally figure this out, I'm surprised that someone with more Linux experience then I hadn't come up with it first? or at least could have shared it with the rest of the world.

In any case, now we have an answer so enjoy.... :)

DevC likes this.
  5. FZelle

It wasn't working with the alpha, we tested that.
    But with the beta they switched the kernel and now it is working with our tablet.
    It's still a little laggy, but at least it's working.

My TP8 still has no Wifi.

Oh and installing the market is easy to, as it is installed already.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/remix-os/google-play-services-actually-remix-t3327735

Open a console and enter these lines seperately:
    su
    pm disable com.jide.apppolicy
    pm enable com.android.vending
    pm enable com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
    pm enable com.google.android.gms
    pm enable com.google.android.gsf
    pm enable com.google.android.partnersetup
    pm enable com.google.android.feedback
    pm enable com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
    pm enable com.google.android.gsf.login
    pm enable com.google.android.backuptransport

After that do a reboot.
    Now the playstore should be working.

6. VenueMark

7. FZelle

Code:
    set timeout=5

menuentry 'Windows' {
        search --file --no-floppy --set=root /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
        chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }

menuentry 'RemixOS nomodeset' --class android-x86 {
        search --file --no-floppy --set=root /AndroidOS/android.boot
        linux /AndroidOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet nomodeset DATA=/AndroidOS
        initrd /AndroidOS/initrd.img
    }

I first decompressed the exe with 7Zip, and then used http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3222483
    for the installation.
    You can set the size of the data partition that way.
    After that I went into the bios and set the bootorder to Android first.

Now I can decide with a reboot if I want windows or Remix.

8. VenueMark

I am curious if anyone else is seeing 25% of there CPU (1 core, maxxed out) cyles being use for no apparent reason, even if on a clean data.img ? I have it listed as /sbin/v86d and it never relinquishes the cpu.

9. umar

umar Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, is it possible to install this on my acer iconia w4 windows tablet as well?
    Can someone post a video on this please..

10. FZelle