reMarkable Goes Subscription

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Bishop, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Well, they couldn't leave well enough alone.

reMarkable Announces "Connect" Subscription Service

All buyers after October 12 will have to pay for a subscription to get a lot of the existing functionality like handwriting conversion and certain sync features (probably email too). The website "promises" existing customers are grandfathered. Press "X" for doubt - ful how long that will last.

If you were thinking about a reMarkable 2 and hadn't pulled the trigger, you might want to think again.

(@Steve S: I wasn't sure where else to put this.)

Tams, Lilawyn, Steve S and 2 others like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Initial reaction in realtime by My Deep Guide:

Hint: he's less than enthused.

Bishop likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Mandatory pun: "that's remarkably awful" :mad:

Tams, Steve S, Bishop and 1 other person like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I love my remarkable tablet, use it daily, and have had it for 3 years, but the subscription model they're proposing is a bit rich. I know it doesn't affect existing users (for now), but it does affect anyone who will buy a new tablet. It makes it much harder to recommend.

First, it includes already existing (pretty basic) features, like getting to access your docs anywhere (presumably the ios integration they have), plus emailing your docs, text conversion, and screen sharing. All pretty basic functions, and all things it's done for years. I presumed they'd be offering a subscription for more sophisticated team development or security features, etc. But this is stupid.

Plus, it's quite expensive for what it offers. 5$ a month allows you have "all of your notes in one place and unlimited cloud storage on the Remarkable servers", or you can pay 8$ to use existing features. The problems is their OS doesn't allow integration with other services, so I can't just backup to Dropbox or some such thing. So, 60$ annually to store docs through wifi on their server, or 96$ a year to use all the basic features. That's some bullsh*t right there. Straight up.

I would not buy this device with this service.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Tams likes this.
  5. Bishop

I can't say I'm surprised they did this. It would be less frustrating if the subscription plans were either:
    1. some commercial/business/high volume plan; or
    2. pricing tied to NEW features and capabilities.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens to their sales volume. And they did this just after reMarkable 2 was consistently in stock and right before the holiday buying season. Seems short sighted to me.

Steve B likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not surprising as one of my customers was actually attempted to be induced in to buying prior to the announcement of this by the sales rep.

On the one hand I can see why they might try this, since as near as we can figure at best they are at break even on the cost of the current model and more likely after you factor everything in are selling them at a loss.

OTOH, selling a device initially at a loss is a long established practice, but counting on both cost per unit dropping with time and/or volume, along with selling other things such software or extended warranties as well. MS XBOX is the prime example of this approach.

However, the two big hurdles they face, is that one, they aren't Microsoft, and two, I don't think the public is even close to being on board with the "hardware as a service" model.

They are only just now grudgingly beginning to accept the SAS model, most due to the efforts of MS with Office 365.

I think this is a unfortunate as for example the customer I mentioned decided not to go forward with the purchase. And I predict that within a year or so they will be sold/acquired or disappear altogether. Which is too bad because it's a solid device with a lot of potential.

Tams and yodamiked like this.
  7. Bishop

DITTO.

yodamiked likes this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Exactly this, Bishop. I don't mind a subscription model if it was for new features or high volume needs. But for your average new customer, so you can get writing to text translation? or email docs from your tablet? or back things up to the cloud. That's f'd up.

The problem is that currently they're trapped by their own OS, instead of using Android. These would normally be features you could just use an alternate service for. But because they're not running Android, they currently have to provide these services themselves, and also carry the burden of cost for servers and such. It's a shame.

I'm currently grandfathered in, but I don't know if I would get a ReMarkable 3 if they offered it now. It would have to offer substantially more user functionality. And unfortunately they're no longer the only kid on the block. Things like the SuperNote tablets are also very good, and well reviewed. Amongst others.

Tams and Bishop like this.