ReMarkable E-Paper Tablet With Pen

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by Steve S, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Even though this is 'tablet PC review' we've started making threads for things like the iPad Pro. As far as I'm concerned any precision annotation/inking/painting devices are fair game. I hope someone here gets their hands on one!

FYI, it's included in this overview thread in Hardware:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/list-of-e-ink-tablets-and-e-readers-with-stylus.72085/

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Every body knows that i have always wanted an eink back panel on the back of a surface pro since i bought one. After all tablet experience is as much about reading as it's about writing. Especially for those of us who are more into research than art, have to read a lot of text. And lcd is nowhere as forgiving as e-ink display on eyes.

But when it comes to this specific product, i.e, remarkable tablet, i would have liked it as a secondary pen display with eink for reading and writing but not as a standalone product, without onenote ecosystem.

4. JoeS

Having it as a secondary display would be awesome. I wrote somewhere before that I would like an e-ink 'touch cover' for the Surface Pro that displays a keyboard when attached, with an option to use it as a display for reading.

Still, having used a Sony DPT-RP1 for a while, three huge benefits of having the standalone device are that
    (1) it has super low battery consumption and therefore long battery life, and related,
    (2) it doesn't get hot. So you can be out reading a book in direct sunlight, wearing sunglasses, for a long time, without things getting hot, and
    (3) because it uses little power it can be super light (small battery). The Sony is more than letter size, but it weighs as much as two iphones (350 grams, less than half a point). It really feels like a magazine.

So while these things are outrageously expensive, if you don't mind spending the money it really has a couple of distinct advantages for use in well-lit places. :vbcool:

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But isn't the new Sony severely gimped in use range? Something like restricted to PDF and requires a separate app to move files from a computer, hence no cloud access?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

6. JoeS

Both true. But you can tell the app to sync with a (locally synced) OneDrive folder, so once the app does its thing, all my devices have the annotated file. The app works over wifi as well, so you don't have to plug in. If you like I guess you can keep the app running, and it will auto-sync at a preset interval. It's not the most convenient, but since I'm going through a 500 page book exclusively on the DPT, it works fine for me.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The screen is supposed to be stunning, but the pen is some kind of proprietary Sony solution?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. JoeS

The screen is pretty great, so good that I tried to peel the information sheet off it. Turns out the screen was on. :D It's about as white as a kindle paperwhite, which is to say: still way less white than a piece of paper. Great to look at in a well lit space though. Not backlit though.

Not sure about the pen tech, it's not the best imo. My already bad handwriting looks even worse, and the screen is pretty rough, resulting in a 'scratchy' feeling. But at least you can zoom in and write larger, which cleans up the handwriting.

Bronsky, WillAdams and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yo Joe!

Just curious...why did you opt for the DPT-RP1 over the DPT-S1 (which has an EMR digitizer)? From videos it looks like inking is pretty smooth on the S1:

Also the RP1 clearly uses some sort of AES solution, do you know if it's N-Trig by any chance? Have you tried using a Surface pen on it? Or maybe it's a Synaptics? Just wondering if we actually have custom AES solution by Sony...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. JoeS

Honestly I assumed newer was better, and I apparently didn't do my homework! :) Presumably the RP1 is a lot faster though, which is important to me as I sometimes read papers with pretty heavy graphics. The RP1 is also quite a bit cheaper than the S1.

And I'm embarrassed to say I haven't let loose any of my many pens on this thing. I have Wacom EMR, AES, iPencil, and NTrig at home, so I'll check later today or tomorrow.

Side note: at some point we should probably take the DPT talk to the DPT thread! :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Marty and Kumabjorn like this.