reMarkable digital ink notepad-semi tablet

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by desertlap, Aug 27, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was able to play with one of these extensively the last couple of days including for a major work task.

It really is a joy to use for things like note-taking and markup. It's not a full tablet, but once again makes me wish for a credible mainstream e-ink based tablet option.

And this is hands down the best way to read text heavy PDFS
    https://www.theverge.com/21403489/remarkable-2-e-ink-paper-tablet-review

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks pretty great. One downside is that it's a little heavier than some of the "impossibly light" e-ink readers. It's 15% heavier than the 13.3" Sony DPT-RP1. Still 14% lighter than an iPad Pro 10.5" but not wayyy lighter. How did it feel to handle it?

upload_2020-8-27_9-31-47.png

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It actually felt better in hand than the Sony and weirdly actually felt lighter which I"m sure is due to it being better balanced over all (the Sony is a bit top heavy in vertical orientation0

It's also a bit "grippier" though that's hard form me to quantify. The software is a bit better than the Sony too.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've had the Gen 1 version of this for the last two years and love it. Work with it every day for note taking in the field. Great Wacom EMR pen, non-reflective textured screen too. Very light and thin. The software is simple and limited but works well and is slowly but regularly updated. Nice as a simple e-reader, but nowhere near as sophisticated as dedicated e-readers are. I've read some booklength novels on it. Backs up by the cloud. For savvy linux users and such it can be programmed and expanded. There's a pretty active community re: that.

Do I wish the software was more refined? Yes. I'd like to be able to use a pen with an eraser and I'd like it to function as a better e-reader. But beyond that the whole point of the device to help you focus by not providing distractions. So I'm ok with no browser, no Android, no speakers, etc. It's aiming for a pretty niche market, but I feel like it's hitting it's target.

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

I'm leaning for my next e-Ink reader to run Android, because I have assembled enough Kindle books (including some lengthy pricy reference books) that I'd love to read on e-Ink. That rules out all these other proprietary software approaches unfortunately. It's a big reason for considering the Boox Note2. Android 9 means Kindle at least runs.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you try using any other EMR pen with a backend eraser?

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

u/dobum on reddit created a plugin to get EMR eraser functionality working on the RM1.

Looks like it can be installed relatively easily via Automagic from the instructions on the GitHub page.

Also has one dependancy, remarkable-hacks patch_06, also installable via Automagic.

Here's a short tutorial showing how to use Automagic via Win10 command-line @~3:32:

8. JoeS