reinstalling fresh Windows XP Tablet Edition

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by LeMaudit, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeMaudit

LeMaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm a Windows developer and I believe I will soon buy a Tecra M7 to work on the road. BTW Thanks to jritter for the great review. Can't wait to read part2 !

My problem is that I will need to buy a Tecra with a French Canadian keyboard, because I need the accents to write in French, but I also need to install the English version of Windows Tablet Edition to have an English only Development platform (weird, but mandatory). And the French Canadian Tecra I will order through Toshiba Canada will most certainly be delivered with the French Windows version only.

Being a MSDN developer, I sure have a DVD with the English version somewhere in the huge flow of DVD Microsoft send me ;-) but I wonder what kind of problems I will have to resolve by installing a fresh version from scratch, and not the Toshiba pre-installed one. Drivers problems maybe ? Anyone with a similar experience care to share ?

Thanks !

2. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

Though I have access to an MSDN subscription, I reinstalled from a Windows Media Center Edition CD and used a Tablet PC Edition CD when it prompted me for some tablet files (Windows XP Professional Disk #2).

It accepted the OEM key on the bottom of my tablet.

I didn't have any problems. Make sure you have your drivers on hand, either burned to a CD or on a USB drive, because Windows will not recognize the Intel wireless or the LAN.

Install only the Toshiba programs you want and you're all set.

My computer is much faster now that I've gotten rid of all that Toshiba garbage.

3. LeMaudit

LeMaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks for sharing your experience NiVeDh.

4. BlueBear

BlueBear Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Nivedh, if you could help me I would be much obliged. I too have a Toshiba R25 and would like to reformat and do a fresh installation of Windows XP Tablet Edition. I downloaded what appears to be the OS from here: http://tr.searching.com/view.php?id=169250&display=detailed, and followed these instructions exactly: http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showpost.php?p=23419&postcount=24. I even changed the setupp.ini file to accept my OEM key from the bottom of my tablet, but it failed. The disk wouldn't boot my computer, and when I ran it from inside windows, it would not accept the CD key. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. hsbc

hsbc Pen Pal - Newbie

nivedh,

which of the toshiba software would you consider essential to install? or is it all just fluff?

thanks,

6. largestgorilla

largestgorilla Pen Pal - Newbie

i didn't realize that you could reinstall the tablet version without using a recovery disc. could you outline the process for me in a little more detail?

thanks

7. BlueBear

BlueBear Pen Pal - Newbie

Any updates?

8. killerjump

killerjump Pen Pal - Newbie

Largestgorilla, see this post for instructions on how to do a fresh windows install

http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showthread.php?t=1867&page=3

However, I am having trouble. I get my disc to work fine (after many coasters) but when I go to enter my CD key, I get an invalid key error, like BlueBear. I changed the setupp.ini file to have OEM in it, so I dont know what I am missing. Can anyone help out?

9. mike1728

mike1728 Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like I posted a new thread without realizing you guys are having the exact same problem. If anyone knows how to get it to accept the CD key on the case, help would be greatly appreciated.

10. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry guys, I was gone on vacation for a while.

As I mentioned before, I used a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 CD. The volume label is MRMPINT_EN and the PID in SETUPP.ini is 76487000 which makes it retail I believe.

For some reason, it accepted the product key on the bottom of my R25.

At one point, it asked for Windows XP Professional Disk #2 so that is when I inserted my MSDN Tablet PC Edition CD. I'm pretty sure that you can do this step with the Tablet PC Edition CD you have acquired by any means as it is just requires a few files.

Also, it is interesting that I have NEVER had any luck with modifying SETUPP.ini in regard to accepting keys that I want.

PS: I installed the Toshiba software that I really need... these include the Power Saver, Screen Rotation, UPEK Fingerprint / Password security, Hard Disk Protection, Virtual Sound, Hot Keys. I might have missed a couple but you get the idea, whatever you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.