Regretted buying the yoga 720, Any other better options?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mooni_nooni, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Hey everybody. Not so long ago i bought a lenovo yoga 720 13 i5, because after buying a t902 from eBay i faced an issue with the device the shipping company returned to to the seller.

I'm interested in getting something else or should i even bother? Since there may not be worth buying anything on a budget of $700? (please note i animate and i do textured paintings on PS and i do high resolution prints and i mean the big stuff)

My opinion on the yoga 720:
    With the cramped budget i had i got the yoga 720 and i have a hate love related relationship.
    i love the look, the quality and the screen and color, the keyboard and the weight. the 13" size is the perfect size for a laptop to draw with but not too big.
    But i had regrets though,The i5 processor and the intel's gpu actually can't handle anything that i do and i was told it could. Wacom AES sucks it drove me crazy..i never thought i needed so much pressure sensitivity before but its not the sensitivity its the responsiveness the tacky driver issues and no proper software support for it yet.
    Also battery and fan issues. Expect fan issues with lenovo they have a very faulty ventilation going on this device...which is resulting in random stutters.
    i've learnt my lesson...wacom emr rules

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Umm.... Wacom EMR and AES uses the same Feel driver so...

720 was 15w dual core. Maybe the 15W quad core would do better for you as in Yoga 730? Or maybe be you need 45w CPU for your needs.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You could take a look at a used Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2018 intel Gen8 i7 quad. The 15" would probably suit you better if the applications you use actually utilise the dGPU. The 15" isn't to bad to handle size wise, provided you're not having to stand and hold the machine. If you want EMR your choices are going to be very limited...the N9P being one of the few and probably the most affordable.

If you can hold out for a short while there maybe offers on the older models at Best Buy (including open box deals), and more second hand units may appear once the new 2019 devices become available.

If you go that route it would probably be wise to get the 16GB model as the extra ram can really help performance.

There are some downsides one it's not going to be easy to find units outside of north America, and two Samsung messed with the driver, so there are some work around's required to get the pen button working as we would generally expect it to. Nothing too painful but very annoying none the less.

The Gen 8 runs much cooler with a slight undervoltage which is easy enough to sort out using software.

If you're in N. America and have a local Best Buy you could pop in and try one out. Take a thumb drive with a portable version of PS, Krita or GIMP etc.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  4. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

I can tell there are some similarities between the two and i can obviously feel the difference (to my suprise).
    I have tried both lenovo pens and the wacom bamboo.
    wacom bamboo is more responsive but less accurate, whilst the lenovo pen is more accurate slow response to my fast strokes.
    here is an example
    [​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/dJ4hytb
    Another note the Huawei matebook m5 tablet i bought for my mum is a bit more responsive than my lenovo. Another thing is my friend has the opposite issue with pressure like in the image
    --
    Thank you for the recommendation im going to link into that.

5. Shogmaster

Make sure you have the Feel driver working properly. SBP works in MS driver mode with pressure so you could be using that. I haven't used SBP in forever so I don't know if there is a way to switch back and forth.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  6. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Thanks I have been looking into it. You are right it's impossible to find this price unless in the US and I'm only stuck with the best buy options. I wouldn't but it used from eBay.

But this one got my interest, I have been actually interested in Ryzen laptops

I found this one by samsubg

Samsung - Notebook 7 Spin 2-in-1 15.6 at like $800 ish

7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not that familiar with the specs of the Notebook 7 spin but I have a feeling that it isn't EMR. I also seem to remember reading some negative comments about pen performance. I could be wrong but it's probably worth doing plenty of research before jumping into another frying pan.

Are you in North America or elsewhere? Assuming you are in the US...

There are more affordable models of the N9P's there is the 13" Pro Pen iirc they come in a 16 ?and 8 GB RAM version with 128GB SSD and no dGPU. There is also the 15" Pro Pen with 8GB model with 128 GB SSD and dGPU. The SSD can be upgraded in all of the N9P Pros. *there are some models with i5 processors.

Best Buy have a deal on right now for the 8GB 256GB SSD Gen8 i7 13" for $899.99 and Open Box for $765 and $675. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...p?skuId=6180101#tab=buyingOptions?bof=openbox

The also have a deal on the 16GB 256GB SSD Gen8 i7 15" for $1199 and Open Box for $959 and $924. That's an extra $200 for 8GB of ram and the dGPU push extra screen space. It's probably a better long term investment imho. The lower grade open box would be $124 over your budget not counting the TAX. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...te-drive-titan-silver/6111205.p?skuId=6111205

Those deals will probably end Saturday.

You may see the 15" drop another $50 bucks or so once the new 2019 models hit their shelves? The max discount I have seen on any of the 15" models has been $200, even when the Gen8 came out last year they never dropped lower on the older Gen7's.

@thatcomics guy brought an open box machine, and it seems to have worked out for him. Afaik he went for the higher priced open box though.

The N9P Pros are very reliable hardware wise, and the finish is pretty durable as well, so going second hand may not be a bad way to go imho. The battery is user replaceable and @thatcomicsguy has mentioned some third-part sources for batteries. User replaceable!

You should be able to find one of the N9P 15" 2017 models with an intel Gen 7 i7 with 16GB for a good price. That should out perform anything else art wise for the price and the alternatives probably wont have EMR. I posted some spec comparisons between the Gen8 and Gen7 and the differences were minor. The N9P's run very cool most of the time so component stress shouldn't be a problem...the exception would be if it had been used for a lot of gaming/3D. Used 13" models should be available for much lower prices on the used market.

If you're totally against a used device then your choices for EMR maybe a tall order at $800 for new.

Oh and there is also a Notebook 9 Pen 13" machine which is newer than the Notebook 9 Pros.

The Pro 2017 Lisa never reviewed the 2018 model afaik price difference was about $50 iirc.

Three way comparison

Based on Lisa's comments she seems to thinks the 720 is a good performer? You must be really pushing your 720. If you have some tests material I can run it on my Notebook 9 Pro Gen7 to see what the results are like. My bad I just reread your OP and you have an i5.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    lovelaptops and Mooni_nooni like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

How is that possible? Are you doing 3D work?

9. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

if you mean performance wise, i use mASSIVE textured brushes on photoshop and a wide variety too

10. Shogmaster

You need some form of discrete GPU to speed up your Photoshop work. Intel HD 630 on the CPU die is not enough. You need to aim for at least GTX MX150 or Radeon RX 540. And you need to make sure you have Wacom Feel driver set up properly for your EMR or AES device. I wouldn't for instance expect Samsung Notebook Pro 9 to do well for you even though it has EMR and RX540 because you don't get to have Wacom Feel driver at all.

YOU NEED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
    - Fast quad or hexacore i7 or i9 (4Ghz turbo minimum)
    - lots of RAM in dual channel (pref DDR 4 and minimum 16GB)
    - Discrete GPU with it's own GDDR pool (MX150 or RX540 and up)
    - Good Wacom digitizer pen with proper Feel driver support (F settling for MS pen driver or MS Wintab driver)

Mooni_nooni likes this.