Regarding the infamous "screen-lift" problem on the S7S....

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by e-schreiber, May 18, 2012.

?

Regarding the infamous "screen-lift" problem on the S7S...

1. I have/had the [B]original S7S[/B] (owned for at least 6 months). My screen never lifted!

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. I have/had the [B]original S7S[/B] (owned for at least 6 months). My screen lifted! :(

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. I have/had the [B]new S7S with 3G[/B] (owned for at least 2 months). My screen never lifted!

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. I have/had the [B]new S7S with 3G[/B] (owned for at least 2 months). My screen lifted. :(

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Please, read this before voting:

1) This poll is dedicated exclusively to the S7S screen-lift problem.
    2) Do not vote if your S7S unit is from the Microsoft's BUILD event.
    3) Vote only if you have/had the original S7S or the recent 3G model.
    4) Vote only if you have/had the unit for the specified amount of time!

Lots of people have bought the S7S and only some have reported the screen-lift problem. If you are planning to buy this Tablet PC, and you want to improve your odds of getting a perfect device, you probably should avoid: 1) second-hand units; 2) stores without a friendly return policy. Many forum members have reported that they got a great customer service experience from the Microsoft Store.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, I fell through the cracks on this survey. My original S7S lifted badly; the replacement (approximately four months?) has not moved a muscle. And I am one of those who has had fantastic support from the Microsoft Online Store.

3. e-schreiber

In the short-term, yes. But in the long-run, your vote will be a lot more meaningful! In 2 months, you'll be ready to vote and hopefully your unit will still be in great shape. To all who can't vote yet: the thread is open to anyone who wants to tell their stories, discuss the problem or suggest solutions! Please, hold onto your votes and come back when the time is right! :)

dstrauss, your post was valuable because:

1. It shows that you did get a faulty unit at first.
    2. It says that the screen-lift may not occur in the first 4 months of ownership.
    3. It re-iterates that the MS Store has helped S7S buyers.

Sorry, guys! I had to draw the line somewhere on the "time of ownership". My thought was: if after 6 months of constant use, the screen didn't lift in a particular unit, it was unlikely to ever lift. And that would make its respective vote a reliable one (note: the 3G models are new, so I had to be more flexible about its time of ownership). The main point is: I didn't want to allow a guy who had only owned the unit for 1 month to confidently vote "perfect screen" because, if his screen started lifting the very next day, that would make both his "precocious" vote and the whole statistics misleading.... His vote would create a false sense of security among prospect buyers now and in the future.

4. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Ive had mine for 6 months now, screenlift along almost all the top by about 1 mm, not alot but still noticeable. The whole unit is incredibly creaky too, cant lift it with one hand without it sounding of. Still love it and wouldn't do without it!

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

E - I fully understand the six month wait - and I'm really hoping for continued quality. No creaking either. If I could get a keyboard like the Logitech Ultrathin for the iPad, I'd even quit waiting for the Transformer (Win)Prime.

6. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm on number 4 slate, all with same screen lift in lower left corner. However, I could only vote once.

7. e-schreiber

That's by design. The goal here is to find out if a unit that has been owned for a relatively long time can still crap out on the user. Some people wait for a month to decide if they will return their unit and get their money back in the belief that after 30 days they are safe. The poll is showing that such assumption is misguided. So the poll can help prospect buyers to weigh the risks.

By the way, does your current unit have the screen problem?

8. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

From the high rate of incidence and the prevalence of new machines with the problems, it looks like it's a product design issue, not a production line QA issue. I'm not going to even think about this until there's an official announcement acknowledging the problem and demonstrating a fix.

9. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

That's exactly what I told a co-worker.

10. e-schreiber

How did he react? Will he buy some other device or wait till Win8?