reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Brian, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might consider downloading the newest driver versions from HP while your at it.

2. clchappe

clchappe Pen Pal - Newbie

I used the Operating System DVD that came with the machine to format and install the OS, then added the necessary drivers downloaded from HP's website. All in all, the process was smooth and painless and I think it helped. What I have always done is write out the steps I need to take when reformatting a machine. I make these very detailed and exhaustive so I don't forget anything.

3. my996

my996 Pen Pal - Newbie

Will you post the steps for the 4200 if you have them?

4. clchappe

clchappe Pen Pal - Newbie

Adjust boot order of tc4200 so that USB CD drive is first
    Install MS Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Install the following drivers
    SP31380 - BIOS (If you've already installed this it won't be necessary after the OS install)
    SP30130 - Audio
    SP30371 - Video
    SP29528 - Quick Launch Buttons
    SP29294 - Touchpad
    SP29113 - Wacom Digitizer
    SP29957 - Modem
    SP29344 - NIC
    SP31172 - WNIC
    SP30135 - Media Card Reader
    SP30892 - OS Enhancements
    SP29585 - Q Menu​
    Run Windows Update (~31 patches)
    Perform Disk Defragmentation (was necessary after my install)

This is the generic breakdown, anything after the defrag is personalization. It took me about 3 hours to do it all, including installing my programs (Office, AVG, etc.). Worth it though cuz my machine runs noticably quicker now.

5. Person

Person Pen Pal - Newbie

Doing a fresh install when you get the machine is BUY FAR the best thing one can do for their computer, unless they user doesnt know windows or computers all that well.

For an advanced user a reformat is the best thing.

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But with Tablet it's much more difficult since it's harder to get a clean copy.

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still don't buy into the whole "reformat" thing with today's computers. I think it's a case by case basis (i.e. the drive is FAT32 instead of NTFS). You can pretty much disable any running processes you wish manually - then they are available to restore if needed. Reformatting a Tablet can be about as fun as it was reformating a Win 3.1 machine.

8. Person

Person Pen Pal - Newbie

"Reformatting a Tablet can be about as fun as it was reformating a Win 3.1 machine."

You guys must be beginners. :)

I just got my TC4200 yesterday. By far this was the easiest reformat I have done. Basically in about 4 hours last night, I got everything installed and setup, just like my desktop.
    Very easy, everything went flawless, except for the formating of the harddrive. I later found that it was my error. This tablet's reinstall went so fast and easy, easiest ever!! Format, reload windows and then put back in HP recovery disk and select which programs and drivers you want installed. It then took about 20 minutes to automatically install everything I told it to. With my Dell desktop, you have to manually pick out your own components and manually install drivers. Oh and a refomat to me has nothing to do with FAT vs NTFS. Its all about getting a fresh, clean install.

"I still don't buy into the whole "reformat" thing with today's computers."

I dont see how you couldn't, unless you like a bunch of factory installed garbage. Do you really think that when you uninstall something, it removes the entire amount of it? Heck no. Stoping the programs from booting is just one part of it. All these programs have their little tenicales in everything else. Windows INI files grow, the registry files get erronious entries in them that slow down the processing and DLLs get loaded into memory that you dont need, eating away memory.

There is nothing better for any modern computer than a reformat right from the company. Now, once again, if you dont know what you are doing, I do not suggest doing reformats.

9. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it depends on the machine. Fujitsu for instance only ships with a few trials, not like Dell, who loads you up with all sorts of garbage. Toshiba is problematic that way too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.