Recovery dvd for HP tx1000 or tx2000 series

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by smilingwoody, Oct 6, 2008.

1. tx1270ep

tx1270ep Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I´m very sad because i cant boot with vista. And i dont have a recovery dvd. The f11 option dont work. I tried all option and nothing... is there any one that can share a dvd recovery with me :(

pleeeeeaaaase :eek:

2. freeze

freeze Pen Pal - Newbie

there are two things that you can do:

1. call HP and buy the recovery DVDs (I have had to do this once with a desktop). I think the price is around 25$.

2. This one is harder and riskyer. Install a linux distro with the GRUB bootloader. Make sure not to completely erase the drive just make the Vista partition smaller. then with that free space make the swap and the / partition. After that finish installing linux and boot it up. Then scroll to one of the two vista partions that should be there and try one if the first one shows a white loading bar on the bottom this is the recovery partition, now rest to factory settings, if you hit the other partition just reboot and click the other vista one.

this is risky if you mess up REPEAT: RISKY
    unfortunately with either of these two ways you lose all data.

good luck.

3. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

TX2000 discs do NOT work in the TX1000 series. Which one do you have? Where are you located?

Gordon

4. tx1270ep

tx1270ep Pen Pal - Newbie

HP tx1270. im from Portugal but the windows vista is english.

I tried with grub but didnt work too... the DVD recovery price is 40€ in Portugal. I think that is expensive.

I tried to find a dvd recovery from emule, torrent files, but no luck... then i saw this forum...
    Maybe i can install other vista home premium and then use my key. But i wanted the software like the original install.... ist it possible?

thanks

Moderator Note: We do not advocate warez or illegal downloads of operating systems on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. Jega

Jega Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Gordon,

I'm new to this forum but have a similar problem.

I bought my tx1000 (tx1417cl) when on holiday in the US and the first thing i did after going through the normal setup proceedure was to make recovery discs. It was a good plan at the time but when you are on holiday with 4 kids things do get sort of hectic and i assume that i left the discs at the apartment because when we got home and unpacked i couldn't find them :(
    I did try to make another set but as you know it won't let you...i realise now that i should have made a backup of the recovery partition as a safe guard.

Anyway, about a week ago i upgraded from AVG 7.5 to version 8, got a warning that it needed a download from Microsoft to make it compatible so went ahead and all seemed fine until it rebooted. 10 mins later i was still waiting for it to finish rebooting and it then got gradually worse over the next day or two even though i'd uninstalled AVG 8 and the Microsoft update, tried restoring to an earlier date but there were no previous restore points showing (even though it was turned on??). Then it blue-screened after every reboot.
    I was left with the only option of the Recovery Manager (f11), which i did.
    It backed everything up to a usb drive (so hopefully all the holiday pics and videos are safe?) and then formatted the vista partition, then as soon as the installing software started it failed at 0% with the following error:

Error 0x400 100 130000 1002
    If this issue continues, please contact HP Support.

Now the computer won't boot because the BootMBR is missing (formatted to death i assume).
    I contacted HP but so far have got no repsonse, though i assume they will just tell me to order recovery discs from them :(

Is there anyway you could help me if you've got a copy of the discs and i promise i'll put them somewhere safe this time :D

many thanks
    Jason

6. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

have you tried borrowing someone's vista DVD (doesn't matter what version) boot the DVD and load the Windows Recovery Environment? From here, you should be able to repair your bootmgr.

7. Jega

Jega Pen Pal - Newbie

i don't know anyone with an actual vista dvd because it seems like everything comes preloaded these days! i'm trying to download one to see if my vista key will work with it?
    i find it really annoying that you pay all this money for a computer and they don't even supply discs anymore, then they limit you to being able to do just one copy!...surely they could at the very least enable you to make multiple copies but make they only work on that particular computer :rolleyes:

anyway if anyone has a copy of the recovery discs or even a copy of vista home premium that i can use with my own product key i'd be really greatful :D

8. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in Australia so can't help with discs. But I had a similar issue and someone very kindly sent me a copy of theirs which worked fine. It would be nice if someone close to you could do the same. But if they can't then...

1. Buy a set from HP. (Actually this can't be done in some places, like Australia) They are I believe about $25.

2. Get a copy of Vista from somewhere and install it using the key on the bottom of your PC. You'll need to download all the drivers from HP and you'll nedd to phone MS to activate but everything will work. The advantage of this is you'll have a nice clean install without the bloatware. The disadvantage is that some of the bloatware is usefull (ie: burning software). But it's easily replaced (for free if you look around).

3. Ring HP and find a local service centre. Take the unit in. They re image the HDD and you can then make a new set of recovery DVD's.

4. Ring HP, tell them that the set that burnt are faulty and demand they send you a set for free. You may need to go through a few people to get this done, but it's worth a try.

Gordon

9. Jega

Jega Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, an update.

after numerous attempts to get vista to install (even after getting hold of a vista disc, even though it was a copied one i could use with my own product key) i have installed XP instead!
    the problem is i now need to get hold of all the missing drivers :( does anyone know what drivers i need to install to get this little laptop working properly? ideally i'd like to get the fingerprint recognition working again aswell because my wife found it really useful :rolleyes:

thanks in advance for any help!

Jason

10. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

The first night i got my tx2113cl (from costco) my first task was to burn the recovery dvd. So I started the program and waited patiently, until the "creating files" progressing bar stopped at 50% for half an hour, i decide it might be sth wrong (program confilicting, etc.) so I terminated the program and try to restart and do it again. then I could get into the vista system anymore, saying BOOTMGR is missing. Then I tried to do the F11 recovery but got the same error as other people like "Error 0x400 100 130000 1002
    If this issue continues, please contact HP Support".

The recovery technology nowadays shouldn't be so vunerable so my conclusion is HP recovery technology is much worse than others. I mean if you can't make sure a good hdd recovery, why put it there at the first place? Just give us a recovery DVD!!! And give us back the wasted 12G hdd space.

In comparision I had previous wiped out a vista system on a toshiba U300 and installed xp sp2. However that computer gets really hot and blow out lot of hot air with huge noise, so I had to return it and bought the hp instead. before I returned it I used their F11 recovery progess with zero problem. How can HP be so worse on this matter.

Anyway i called HP support and they couldn't suggest more than I already did, so finally they decided to ship me a set of recovery dvd for free. So now I am still waiting for my vista dvd to come.

So if yours is still in warranty, just call them and demand a dvd, as their promised hdd recovery system SHALL work, otherwise it's their fault and shall be responsible for this. Good luck!