Recovery Drive

Discussion in 'Asus' started by noskill, Nov 3, 2006.

1. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

somehow the information got deleted off my recovery drive and now I can't revert from vista.

any ideas on what to do?

edit:

actually, nevermind. I'm trying to install winxp pro on it now and see if the recovery will work.

edit:

it works now by installing winxp pro and then using the recovery disk. funny that installing vista will not let you use the recovery disk.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you revert from Vista because of the wireless driver problem or were there other factors that made you switch back?

Someone somewhere mentioned that the character recognition in Vista was way better than XP. True?

Are you going to go back to Vista when it's officially released or are you going to wait a bit?

3. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Handwriting recognition is way better in Vista, mainly because the OS learns your handwriting as you use it. Furthermore, there are many refinements for pen use in Vista (such as check boxes on the top-right side of icons which enable you to make multiple selections easily with the pen...). the floating Tip is also better (easy access from Sides of the screen, better design too)
    I will definitely go back to Vista when it's released.

4. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, the only reason I reverted was because of the wireless problem. I'm not sure why Asus "hard coded" the wireless to the button, doesn't sense.

and as Pyxus has said, there are many improved features (tablet wise). It's also better able to "learn" your handwriting. For the time I was using it, I loved it. will definitely install vista as soon as Asus gets the drivers out.

Also, you'll really need to have 2 gig of ram. Even with a fresh install, it was eating about 600mb of ram. Crazy.

5. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

hard coding and brute fource are alwase the easiest way to do things, they probably had to do that due to time constraints saranya

6. noskill

noskill Pen Pal - Newbie

I totally agree that 2 GB RAM for Vista is way better than 1 GB, but what's the real point with Vista is that it uses your memory a bit different way than XP does. In a few words, you shouldn't really care about how much memory it allocated, since in Vista "free RAM" = "wasted RAM". Read this article, it explains everything: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015