recover my lost files, upgrade interrupted for windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AlicePhoebe, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe Pen Pal - Newbie

When i installing windows 10 system, the upgrade is interrupted unexpectedly, display "windows 10 technical preview installation has failed", after restart the computer, my files in C: disk are missing, is there any way to recover my files? i have backup my data with easeus todo backup two months ago, the latest data has no backup. Now the data is lost, what should i do?

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Seem to recall when installing Win 8 Pro that the data files get moved to a backup location during the install. A partially finished Win 10 version might not be so friendly...

3. AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe Pen Pal - Newbie

Just feel windows10:D in advance, In fact, I am not so familiar with reinstall the system

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

This happened to me, and there were no issues with the upgrade/install and apparently it's a known occurrence with the Windows 10 upgrade. Files are deleted as cleanup post installation. No fixes have been issued.

Some users were able to locate their files in temp folders or in This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > User Name > Documents or This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > Public, but the files do not exist as they should in the Windows.old folder.

I unfortunately have had no such luck and my files appear to be gone forever.

Currently trying to use data recovery software to see what can be salvaged.

Off course the adage to always have backups of your files applies here...

I'd chosen not to because i didn't have enough Hard Drive space, and had previously had many instances of success with in place installs/upgrades.

*le sigh*

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.