Recommended spare DV8P charger: Blackberry Playbook folding blade charger, currently at around $3.50 shipped

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you're looking for a spare charger for your DV8P (to keep in an extra room, or for travel) but don't really like the idea of paying $20 to Dell for one, you might want to consider the Blackberry Playbook folding blade charger, currently at around $3.50 shipped at Amazon.com.

This appears to be the genuine product and seems well made. The charger is only a bit bigger than the Dell charger, and comes with an attached cable. Some people may prefer that, although some people may be concerned if one part of the charger and cable goes bad--but at this price, just buy 2. ;)

Very nicely, the cable is 6'5" or so--very handy to have the extra length (2x the Dell). And for travel, the charger prongs fold away.

The charger works fine with the DV8P and I've had no issue in use, either in charging or in running the tablet on wall power. It seems to be a total go.

Two things to note, however. First, the charger largely is a glossy black plastic--will pick up fingerprints. Not a big issue, given the use. More importantly, the charger is rated at 1.8 Amps, 10% under the Dell charger. I didn't see that as a major issue, as it means that charging the DV8P from half empty might just take an extra 10-15 minutes or so.

At any rate, for your consideration. (You also might want to keep your eyes on the Amazon prices, as they seem to fluctuate a bit. I lucked into a sale by an Amazon Marketplace seller with a good rep., at a whopping $1.29 shipped per charger--and then the seller shipped by 2-day Priority Mail besides. I ended up with 3 spare chargers for less than the cost of shipping--I still don't understand how the seller could do that, but am happy to be the beneficiary!)

Amazon.com: Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black): Computers & Accessories

Mi An and SolidSonicTH like this.
  2. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Mikerman

Looks like my seller is no longer there--guess its stock ran out at the price?

4. Mi An

Mi An Pen Pal - Newbie

There's another 3.49 shipped seller up today if you're still interested jkenny. I set my web page monitor to keep an eye out for even crazier prices, as OP suggested. I'm in no hurry, but long term, it would be nice to have a few long enough to charge while I'm using my tab.

Thanks for the head's up :hi2:

5. stout01

stout01 Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a seller now offering them for $1.29 + free shipping. i just ordered a few at that price

6. Mi An

Mi An Pen Pal - Newbie

I snatched 2 for $1.29 each too. That made me smile :) which is an interesting response for such an uninteresting category of product.

7. Mikerman

I assume you folks are purchasing from MyParana at Amazon.com. I can recommend it: shipped quickly to me and by 2-day USPS Priority Mail besides. I still can't understand it--the price delivered is less than the cost for postage alone. Maybe the seller makes up for it with volume? LOL. My recommendation: grab a few. :)

8. Mikerman

It does feel good, doesn't it? :)

9. RonRock

RonRock Pen Pal - Newbie

You got me all excited and I jumped the gun. I went crazy and clicked over to Amazon and dropped $3.40 on one before even finishing the thread. I could have had two! Then I had to register just so that I could thank you for the pointer. That short charge cord was a PITA.

Well I might as well look around the site now that I'm here. As an FYI I was going to register anyway, I just got my Dell Venue 8 Pro and am looking forward to learning all I can about it.

Cheers,
    Ron

10. Mikerman

Great to hear! And I don't know if it's due to purchases from folks here, but the super-low seller at Amazon.com, MyParana, seems to have just raised its price from $1.29 shipped to $2.99 shipped. Who knows if the price will go down again, in the future (the seller's sale of the charger did stop for awhile, and then came back)--perhaps it bears watching. Still, though, a good deal. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.