Recommended Route Mapping Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve S, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

In the past, I've routinely installed and used Microsoft Streets and Trips to find places and investigates driving routes and alternatives. However, S&T is not the only game in town; Garmin, deLorme and others make route mapping applications. The web site Laptop GPS World is dedicated to this class of product and has many useful product reviews and discussion threads about the pros and cons of one product versus another.

However, I'd like to hear from the folks on this forum. If you use mapping software, what do you recommend and why?

2. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, Garmin has dropped its pc based software.

3. MichaelSt

MichaelSt Pen Pal - Newbie

The best way I know to do this is with the Badger Map. It is a multi-point routing system that is built on top of Google Maps. It is specifically made for Salespeople who are navigating to multiple points that are in the field, so you can upload all your points from a spreadsheet and then build routes on top of that. You can also have the routes translated into calendar entries. Saves a ton of time, and does everything we are talking about here automatically.

Stephen Hayes likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Lessee. I installed:

- HERE Maps --- easy download of states and nice interface
    - Navmii --- nifty 3D navigation interface while travelling
    - Offline Map --- uses openstreetmap data which seems to be more compleat than HERE Maps

I really wish there was one app which had:

- nice interface
    - nifty 3D navigation
    - uses openstreetmap or some other sort of up-to-date (and updateable) map.

5. Stephen Hayes

Stephen Hayes Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using Badger Maps too. I used Streets and Trips for years and was equally lost when they discontinued. I've found that Badger does everything I needed from S&T. If you're interested in using your Garmin, they have a new feature that lets you export your routes to your Garmin. I prefer Waze so I haven't tried it yet, but it looks cool.

6. Steve S

Just for the record, since starting this thread I've migrated to Maps Pro (available from the Store). It's not quite S&T, but interestingly it features everything that WillAdams wishes for. It's inexpensive and for a one-time fee, maps and updates are available for as long as you have the app.

One other nice advantage is that the developer is fully engaged with us and actively (and sometimes promptly) supports user-suggested bug fixes and functionality improvements...

WillAdams likes this.
  7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I confirm concerning the number of features of Maps Pro and the involvement of its developer to add regularly new features that you can ask for. I got many features that I asked.

8. Stephen Hayes

That's really cool to hear! What kind of features do that have/have they added for you specifically?

9. Stephen Hayes

Just checked out Maps Pro. It seems really great but I use a Mac and I'd prefer there to be a mobile app as well.

10. Steve S

<<...I'd prefer there to be a mobile app as well...>>

...If by "mobile," you mean offline, there is one. For a very reasonable one-time fee, you can download any or all of the states and you have access to updated maps for as long as you own the application. Once installed, you can navigate freely without being connected to the Internet...

<<...What kind of features do that have/have they added for you specifically?..>>

...Can't speak for others, but Fabian corrected a place-names bug at my request and also added a real-time driving feature which I had endorsed...