1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Recommended distro for HP TC4400

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by piete, Jul 5, 2011.

1. piete

piete Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! This part of the forum seems a bit inactive, but I'm sure the knowledgeable tablet users are still following it :)

I'm a bit short of my own free time to make extensive research and comparison of linux distros for tablets. Could somebody please indicate a good distro for my first tablet, HP Compaq TC4400? It doesn't have to be a cutting-edge distro (I'm using Debian Lenny on my other notebook, although the choice is mainly driven by the (lack of) support to the graphic card and its powersaving), but it would be nice if everything (or at least most things) functioned directly after the install.

This is a good chance for different distro fans to convince me to use their favourite distro ;)

Best regards,
    piete

P.S. I have read some older guides for installing e.g. Ubuntu (and I did install 10.04 on the tablet), but new distros appear all the time and existing distros get their updates, so I would like to think that I am not repeating an old question.

P.P.S. The lack of free time is real and will last a few more years (three small kids) so I greatly appreciate any indications. I like to play with different distros and before the children I did quite a lot of distro-hopping. But now I need to address the few free moments I have for something more serious (=studying), and leave the fun part to the other community members ;)
  2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member

well, IDK exactly what you are looking for, but any Linux OS will have to be tweaked or added to if you want it to have good support with your Tablet PC... I have been running various Linux distributions for some time now, Most of the more feature rich ones will work excellently with almost any hardware. Linux Ubuntu and Mint are 2 of my favorites so far, and I was running Mint 13 on my 2730p very happily but since I got a SSD last week it is not on there yet. I will be installing it on my computer sometime soon (maybe today) and I can put together a walk through of sorts while I am getting everything setup so that other 2730p users can have a exact guide (for you, you can ignore some of the 2730p specific stuff, or just adapt it to work on the TC4400. It is a mostly simple process, and really the hardest part for a linux noob is making a dual boot system without harming the other installs on the computer)

I have also used "Vector Linux" on a circa 2000 Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop because it is light and runs pretty well. But I have yet to try it on my Tablet PC, though I have been thinking about it to see how it goes. Maybe I'll do a triple boot and post how it goes
  3. piete

piete Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Agent9, and thanks for the reply! I'd greatly appreciate your reports. It is the tweaking that I try to avoid (not because I didn't know how to do it or I didn't like it, but simply due to not having time), and I was hoping that some distro would have taken tablet users as one of their focus groups. On the other hand, I never found even a notebook-friendly distro to my liking (all default settings on powersave, since I'm sure a general notebook user appreciates mileage over muscle, it's easier to switch to performance when you need it but frustrating having to tweak every vanilla install).

I will be looking forward to your experiences. And you can start a new thread so that 2730p users will find it easily. Regarding dual/multiboot, with the previous grub it used to be a no-brainer (although I prefer GAG on my MBR), grub2 has offered me more problems than benefits.