Rechargeable AAAA battery and charger, for Dell active stylus

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mikerman, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just thought to post a link to a AAAA rechargeable battery and charger that I came across at eBay.com, for use with the Dell active stylus. I haven't purchased it, but the seller and product have received uniformly good reviews. The setup can be purchased in different combinations at eBay, with a different number of the battery (found in separate auctions).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-AAAA-Re...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item4adc4ccc8a

2. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder how the voltage difference Ni-MH = 1.2V vs. alkaline = 1.5V would affect the stylus performance.

3. Mikerman

A very good point--I always forget that issue with rechargeables. Might be something to ask the seller about, who seems pretty knowledgeable.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is very unlikely that the voltage difference would affect performance at all, since any stylus with a AAAA battery only needs very little power.
    Regarding the price of $14 for the rechargeable AAAA battery , you are better off to just buy a regular 9V block battery. These consist of 6x 1.5V AAAA batteries. All you need to do is take the 9V battery housing off, and voilà you got yourself six AAAA batteries for a much lower price and which will last for several years in your stylus.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...you are better off to just buy a regular 9V block battery...>>

...Just a note about this; not all 9V batteries contain cylindrical AAAA-sized cells. Some 9V batteries contain "wafer" cells, which would be useless for use in an active pen.

In addition, 9V batteries that do contain AAAA-sized cells are internally connected using either soldering or spot welding between the cells. If you don't have appropriate tools to cut the cells apart and trim back the connector straps, the individual cells may still not be very useful. In particular, spot welds can be tough to work on.

The bottom line is that member kvoram is correct, but if you do not have some do-it-yourself skills, taking a 9V battery apart may be more trouble than it is worth...

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Last I checked, Synaptics pens eat through batteries at a rate that wont allow 6 batteries to last several years =)

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Steve,
    You are correct. Also, rechargeable 9v batteries are not 9v. The 6 AAAA cells inside (if they are made that way) are 1.2v each giving 7.2v. The "9v" battery is a reference to its standard size only and not actual voltage.

Yes, the voltage is very likely to affect performance. My voltage tests on N-trig, Synaptics, and Atmel pens show that N-trig will work down to the low of about 0.9v. Atmel v2 about the same point but Atmel v3 has trouble about 1.1v. The Synaptics pen also has trouble and starts to skip or fail to turn on properly about 1.1v and will go out completely about .98v. The 1.2v rechargeable may work okay for a short period of time but I believe they will not work all the way to their full discharge point so short recharge cycles will lead to charge memory issues. You will be changing and rechargeing frequently and will ruin the long term use of the battery.

It does not help here but at the present implementation, N-trig is the best of the battery powered pens so far.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

As an aside, I just bought 2 (2)-packs of AAAA batteries from CVS for $3.55 each pack. That is $1.78 per battery. They are not on the battey tree but with the photo batteries and everwhere hearing aid batteries or photo batteries are sold. When the stylus stops working you can use them in penlight flashlights for a long time afterwards so don't toss them...buy a couple of AAAA powered flashlights and save the batteries.

RazzNuts likes this.
  9. Mikerman

Fry's Electronics: 2 AAAA batteries for $2.72, and recently on sale for $1.99.

dceggert likes this.
  10. 8inches

8inches Scribbler - Standard Member

I have plenty of rechargeable and alkaline AA and AAA batteries. AAAA is not horribly expensive but I would rather use battery that I already have than invest in yet another form factor.