Recent experience with Fujitsu support and the T5010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently upgraded my T5010 from Win7 -RC Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate. The upgrade went smoothly. However, after the upgrade, the shock sensor utility would not work. It reported that the system extension utility had not been installed. I downloaded the Win7 compatible system extension utility and attempted to install it. The installation failed. It reported that an earlier version of the system extension utility had been installed that needed to be removed. I thus uninstalled the system extension utility using the Windows uninstaller.

One may have thought that this would have been the end of the problem, but it was not. I kept getting the same error but there was nothing more that I could uninstall!! At that point, I decided to call the Fujitsu support line.

The first person that I got on line said that there was no such thing as a system extension utility!!! He had never heard of it. After I pointed it out to him in the Fujitsu site, he agreed to escalate my call to the 2nd tier of support!! I reached a very nice lady who informed me that she had no access to any information about a thorough un-installation of the system extension utility (an aside here: the Win7 RC was apparently happy with the version 2.6 of the system extension utility -the Vista version-. Apparently, the finalized Win7 needs version 3.1.0.0). However, she promised to call me back when she got more information. She called back again stating that she needed more time to research the problem and that she would call again. She did call, 36 hours later to let me know that Fujitsu did not have any way of removing the system extension utility but her group would be happy to re-image my drive.

I had to smile at that point because I had already fixed the problem. I removed version 2.6 of the utility by removing mentions of the program/drivers FUJ02e3 from the registry and from Windows/System 32. I also removed the previous version of the shock sensor utility. I had then to reinstall the Win7 version of the FUJ02e3 driver (it does various things including some modulation of ACPI, etc). After that, the Win7 version of the System Extension installed fine (vs 3.1) as well as the shock sensor Win7 utility.

In any case, the only way that Fujitsu technical support can respond to somewhat complex technical problems is to re-image the drive. The took the same response with bluetooth problems when I originally purchase the machine. To this day, despite the fact that they include a number of very "fujitsu_cooked" drivers and utilities (the button utilities and drivers, the sensor, the system extension), they do not have an "installation cleaner" that can remove any of these when something goes wrong.

2. Fes

Fes Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought I'd add to this as I've just changed my T5010 from Vista to Win 7 64bit. Everything went pretty swimmingly for me except this error with the Shock Sensor (I don't have an SSD installed so wanted it to work) saying the System Extension Utility was not installed. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, cleared out the registry as much as could to no avail.

Then I went to my Device Manager, which was showed two unrecognised devices. I looked on their Property Details tab and one was saying *FUJ02E3 (which needs the System Extension Driver) and the other was *FUJ02B1 (Hotkey Driver). So then I just did the Search on my system via Update Driver in the Properties for each one (where the installer had put the folder on my C drive) and all was fixed - no more error message.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.