Recent Apple Announcements June 3rd

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by darkmagistric, Jun 3, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I eat all of my words. Well most of them. Except touchpad support.
    Will ipads now work with the amazing touch gestures and cursor of a wireless apple touchpad though?

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really good to read this, I like the iPad dimensions so this could make a real change for people who have a MacBook and prefer those dimensions to the way other graphic tablets have gone.

And oooh boy, have I been waiting for the iPad to give Wacom a kicking where it hurts. This will also amuse me mightily when I read "you can only produce real art on a Wacom..."

I have a 2016 iPad and could never give up my MacBook for the iPad for daily work use. My partner uses the iPad as she likes the size and touch gestures but for me I need the keyboard and Apps my MacBook runs. I can only hope that we don't start getting desktop prices for iPadOS... I know Affinity and Photoshop will charge subscriptions but a lot of smaller competitors will hopefully keep the prices down and force Adobe to think again on the Apple platform.

Out of the two options above, I'm more likely to buy an iPad to hook up to a MacBook than switch over completely. My MacBook will need replacing soon but I'll wait to see if Apple swap out Intel for their own chips - I don't want to be out high and dry this time on an older unsupported chip and OS.

A lot of iPad users won't want or need the more powerful OS so I guess it'll either be customisable to make it more "iOS-like" or you will be able to get two options.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Which is pointless.
    Because Apple's own strict guidelines for designing software for iPad require apps to be completely usable with a finger as the only pointing device.
    Even the Apple Pencil, which is a lot more accurate than a finger, isn't allowed to be considered a pointing device. ;)

4. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Interesting reactions, not just here but across the web. Some ticked off because iPadOS no longer mirrors iOS (iPhoneOS). Others giving thumbs down because it still lacks this, that, or another thing.

But most seem pleased because it's a very large step in a direction they like. I'm in this group, more or less. I owned the original iPad and didn't think much of it--just a big phone that couldn't make calls--except for content consumption. It's come a long, long way. It's almost where I had hoped Microsoft would eventually be with tablets when I dumped my Macbooks and other iStuff for Windows 8 devices. We all know what happened to that dream.

In the end, I don't care so much who's logo is on the tablet if it does what I like and need. Company partisanship only hurts me.

dstrauss, JoeS and Azzart like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was surprised with the keynote and corresponding events after especially over things like file management and mouse support on the iPad.

Multiple times from all of Apple it was about "the right tools and form factor for the needs of the user and the task at hand". Lots of talk about for example original content creation that begins on a Mac, gets a quick edit on an iPhone and is presented in a small group on an iPad.

Another example (and of course toeing the company line) was around the new display and why it didn't have touch/pen functionality. The answer was people didn't want to reach up from their mouse/keyboard to constantly to poke a monitor, but that an iPad connected via sidecar was a great tool for extended drawing and you could then easily apply high powered filters and transforms to it via the Mac.

This gets back to Jobs talking about the desktop as a truck and that most people don't need a truck all the time.

The message was multiple devices that work seamlessly together and allow the user the size and form factor that works best for them and give the best experience possible in that form factor.

Of course the cynic in me realizes that Apple also benefits from this with someone then owning an iPhone, iPad and Mac....

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. desertlap

That was probably the most discussed point at the show given the rumors. To the point that they kept saying that touch screens are a less than optimal experience on a laptop or desktop and that a mouse with a tablet was the same.

I personally don't think this is the last word on this given that mouse support is there as rumored as an accessibility option. I'm pretty sure the headline feature of iPad OS 15x will be "now with best in class mouse support"

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Some videos are coming out that show mouse support in action. It looks like you can pair any bluetooth mouse.
    The mouse cursor is awful, but it appears to work as one would imagine. You can actually do text selection and cutting and pasting. Scroll wheel appears to work too. Someone actually had excel fired up, but didn't go into great detail on cell selections etc

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  8. desertlap

Mouse support is there but it's pretty primitive at this point. One of the engineers I was sitting next to jokes it was windows 95 level....

I have an Apple magic mouse and a Logitech USB mouse. On the magic mouse, the scroll wheel works to scroll but you cant click with it. On the Logitech USB mouse, all of the mouse buttons register as the same click.

They have told us there will be "significant improvement " by official release but no qualification on what that actually means.

dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  9. nyb72

I thought during one of the demo videos, in the accessibility menu someone drilled down to a screen that showed mouse button assignments. Is that something you can configure?

10. nyb72

Just seemed so cringeworthy to see the presenters beam with pride and audience clapping so vociferously for stuff like... thumb drives, file systems....

dstrauss and darkmagistric like this.